MODs on 2.2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Roberdin

Re: MODs on 2.2

Post by Roberdin »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:
Give me a break, I'm 14 years old!
pfftt that's nothing, I'm younger and I learned PHP from a book and reference from http://www.php.net." target="_blank Now there's an answer. ;-)
I learnt from phpBB and php.net :P
Rob

EldarionII

Post by EldarionII »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:pfftt that's nothing, I'm younger and I learned PHP from a book and reference from http://www.php.net." target="_blank Now there's an answer. ;-)
Meh! I really don't care, I'm 14 years old and make $3,000 in two weeks building computers, I have no need to learn PHP, but I want to. Hardware is good to get into in red-neck country. ;)
And thank you, NarGemini.
Graham wrote:Roberdin Wrote:Gold refers to the final release AFAIK.
Correct.

(It is actually likely that some MOD authors will start work during the RC stage, but you can't say that these MODs will work with the final release until such a point as it is released)
Well that just brings up when the release is going to be again, but I'm not gonna ask. ;)
Knowledge leads to wisdom which leads to power... so try not to be dumb.

XPMaster

Post by XPMaster »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:
Give me a break, I'm 14 years old!
pfftt that's nothing, I'm younger and I learned PHP from a book and reference from http://www.php.net." target="_blank Now there's an answer. ;-)
Pfft, I know someone who is 13 and knows PHP :D.
Error 404: The signataure you have found (or not) has not been found .

EldarionII

Post by EldarionII »

EldarionII wrote:Meh! I really don't care, I'm 14 years old and make $3,000 in two weeks building computers, I have no need to learn PHP, but I want to...
If you want to go by knows, I know someone who is 13 and knows asp! I like hardware- it lets you surf the web. ;)

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

As a mod author, I don't think I will get into rewrite and/or modified data migration until RC2 will be out, although I have already digged into the code and db schemes. My main goal - and I think most of active modders share the same - is first to allow people to upgrade to the next phpBB version without loosing data required by the mod, even if the functionalities aren't implemanted (I'm thinking ie to my topic calendar which store its date at a topic level : even if the caclendar functinalities aren't implemanted, keeping this date will allow to not loose user's data). So this has to be very close to the gold release to allow admins a smoother upgrade. Later can come the mod itself, based on this gold release, with a standard way to work (alpha, beta, rc and release).

EldarionII

Post by EldarionII »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:As a mod author, I don't think I will get into rewrite and/or modified data migration until RC2 will be out, although I have already digged into the code and db schemes. My main goal - and I think most of active modders share the same - is first to allow people to upgrade to the next phpBB version without loosing data required by the mod, even if the functionalities aren't implemanted (I'm thinking ie to my topic calendar which store its date at a topic level : even if the caclendar functinalities aren't implemanted, keeping this date will allow to not loose user's data). So this has to be very close to the gold release to allow admins a smoother upgrade. Later can come the mod itself, based on this gold release, with a standard way to work (alpha, beta, rc and release).
So are you saying I should just get 2.0.10 and upgrade at the final release rather than wait for the 2.2 version of the MOD to come out?

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

That is what I would do indeed. Or if the functionalities the mod brings is not too harsh, you can start with phpBB 2.0.10 not modified, and wait for the release of phpBB 2.2 before thinking to add these functionalities.

Two examples :
- I wrote a hierarchical forum management for phpBB 2.0 (subforums so). What I'm planing for the next release is to get this mod closer to the phpBB 2.2 database implementation, to ease the further migration. This one will be disrupted (at least in its main functionalities) when phpBB 2.2 will go out, but I will provide a migration tool to be sure the phpBB 2.0 forum tree will be correctly moved onto phpBB 2.2 structure.

- I wrote too a calendar for phpBB 2.0 : this functionality isn't planed in phpBB 2.2, so a mod will be required for. As mentioned sooner, I don't want users to loose their events because of the migration onto phpBB 2.2, but I don't want stop admins to upgrade phpBB because of these informations. There also, a migration will be provided, and the mod will be softly written, tested and released, knowing the functionality will miss at start - let's say during one month or two, but not the historical data.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Without wishing to get ahead of myself or Meik I think there is potential to integrate relevant (and popular) upgrade facilities for Mods from 2.0.x to 2.2.x. How we would do this I don't know ... the easiest method would simply be for Mod authors to send us a script translating the data stored for their Mod to that used by 2.2.x. We'd then implement that within the upgrade script where relevant.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Without going too far, I think the real problems will appear with the posts/topics migration, or search tables, which are the biggests one. It is difficult to keep them in a live database (performances...). Other tables, even users, are not too heavy to keep them as save ones, and further reclaim missing data (assuming keys will be equivalent or equal). Hopefully, I think this table can be managed row per row, what should simplify the inclusion of external data.

EldarionII

Post by EldarionII »

Hmm.... :? This is extremely tough, because I don't think all modders are going to do this so I'll be left stranded with a few. I don't know what to do. 8O My biggest problem is time, I'm being pushed on time when it is most needed. This sucks man, they always gotta push me at the wrong times. "Oh you got four months" I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO WORK WITH IN THAT FOUR MONTHS!!! Sorry, ignore me, I'm getting stressed out now. :x