Can 2.0.x upgrade to 2.2.x smoothly?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Vigacmoe

Can 2.0.x upgrade to 2.2.x smoothly?

Post by Vigacmoe »

The structure of the data tables are so different, it couldn't be easy to upgrade from 2.0.x to 2.2.x, especially for large forums, I don't know how much space the database will take in a large community like phpbb.com, maybe x GBs(I will be glad to know), it will definitely take a looooooong time to transfer the data from the old db to the new one, I wonder how the developers plan to do this.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: Can 2.0.x upgrade to 2.2.x smoothly?

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

These upgrade scripts really aren't all that difficult to write...they will just take a few seconds (say 3-15) to complete. So the answer will be yes.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

espenhh

Post by espenhh »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:These upgrade scripts really aren't all that difficult to write...they will just take a few seconds (say 3-15) to complete. So the answer will be yes.
That sounded way to optimistic. If I remember correctly, the 1.x to 2.0-script used much more time. Even in this is just a minor update (on the paper), it is many changes... But I don't know, I have never upgraded from 1.x to 2.0 myself, but I have heard "rumors"... ;)

But: The scripts will work, that I an 100 % sure of. The phpBB-group will not release anything that doesn't work :P
Espen

(Huge thanks to the phpBB-developers!!!)

Need Norwegian support????

Graham

Post by Graham »

There will be an upgrade script from 2.0.x to 2.2.x when it is released, you don't need to worry about that.

However, I will say that the time estimate given by AJD is likely to be way too optimistic unless you only have a very small board
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Paul Grayson

Post by Paul Grayson »

Will the script work around the 30-second time-out issues that I've encountered with MySQL database requests? I've had problems with other such things timing out in the past.

My hosting provider doesn't allow shell-script access without a lot of hassle, so I have to rely on either PHP or PHPMyAdmin to make database modifications.

Wert

Post by Wert »

Paul Grayson wrote:
My hosting provider doesn't allow shell-script access without a lot of hassle, so I have to rely on either PHP or PHPMyAdmin to make database modifications.
Sounds like time to get a better host.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Paul Grayson

Post by Paul Grayson »

Wert wrote:
Paul Grayson wrote:
Sounds like time to get a better host.
I'm thinking about it. My other option is to host the site at home via broadband.

Vic D'Elfant

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

Another solution could be to create an external program that does the upgrading... it isn't too difficult, I made some programs that modified an existing phpBB board before, which all worked without a single glitch.
The only thing that the user must have is remote access to the MySQL database (so the hostname must be set to "%" in the MySQL user rights). Most hosting providers allow this though :)

Perhaps I could create such an application and release it when phpBB 2.2 comes out. If anyone of the development team thinks this is an interesting offer, they can contact me via vic@pythago.nl ;)

Vic

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

The upgrade script probably won't be a .sh, Paul Greyson

@Graham et al: Yes, I was thinking of my localhost copies with about 20 posts or less (and an all-but-dedicated server to boot) :P
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Pit

Post by Pit »

Speaking from experience of half-writing a hacky convertor...the data structure of 2.0.x isn't changed for 2.2.x in anything like the way that 1.4.x changed to 2.0.x. That isn't to say it's a case of "just add a few new fields and convert the format of some old ones"... there are more major changes, which I'm afraid I can't really name off the top of my head. Certainly, the dev team with their coding skills and detailed knowledge of the data structure will be able to write a smooth convertor; this board has already been upgraded piece-by-piece as the changes are made. ;)