Release date for the release date?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
RBH

Release date for the release date?

Post by RBH »

Just an idle question: can we expect the devs to pop up suddenly and announce 2.2 is finished, or will somebody appear and say "Right, we're nearly done it'll be 1 more week"?

Also, is there a mailing list of some sort available to be updated?

Looking good by the way :)
DK

Re: Release date for the release date?

Post by DK »

I can't say how 2.2 will be done but I can tell you the way 2.0 was done.

there were a couple off handed remarks by devs in the forums that didnt specifically say a date but gave the impression of impending that week kind of thing, and at one point a flash or javascript countdown timer appeared when you hit this site. If I remember right it was like 2 or 3 days out from RC1 [its been awhile so I'm going on half awake memory :) ]
espenhh

Post by espenhh »

2.2 don't just "pop out" :P

First it will come som BETA's, then some RC's (Release Candidates), and when the developers feels that phpBB is pretty stable and bug-free they releases it :P
Espen

(Huge thanks to the phpBB-developers!!!)

Need Norwegian support????
Graham

Post by Graham »

The release will get teleported in by the aliens :mrgreen:

Seriously, at least with the Betas and RC versions you are unlikely to get much notice beforehand that they are coming since they depend on too many factors.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
XPMaster

Post by XPMaster »

Yeah, all they have avalible now are CVS versions. At least they update every hour: http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs.
Error 404: The signataure you have found (or not) has not been found .
evilmonkey

Post by evilmonkey »

I believe Paul announced a week ago (or so) that there were two functions left to impliment and some minor odds and ends. While you can make an estimate from that, I still say don't hold your breath. 2.2 still has to go through the beta and the RC phases, as has been pointed out.
VP Information Technology, Tmeet. http://www.tmeet.com" target="_blank
University of Toronto Management Student.
MKruer

Post by MKruer »

Correct me if I am wrong, but once it hits beta, you will start supporting patch updates thru the release candidate. The same as you did with the original 2.0.x
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

MKruer wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but once it hits beta, you will start supporting patch updates thru the release candidate. The same as you did with the original 2.0.x
You'd be able to migrate from support Betas, through supported RCs to supported Gold Code™.

Just the same as it was with 2.0.x, though I don't recall there being UNIX diff patches being made available... though in either case you could generate them yourself using CVS.

Though those who that dabble with CVS moving off the beaten path, will be unsupported, as it the usual case.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way
Benni

Post by Benni »

espenhh wrote:First it will come som BETA's, then some RC's (Release Candidates), and when the developers feels that phpBB is pretty stable and bug-free they releases it :P
It will never be bug-free ..only devs are saying that :twisted:
I do quality assurance ..i know it :mrgreen:

Beta here, RC there ..i think every CVS is becoming better ..we will be surprised how fast it goes at the end.
josh2004

Post by josh2004 »

well no matter how long it takes best to look through all these things first and get the bugs out or what can be sorted out and then release it with it working nicely. But yeah i think the work that has gone on here to make this version is fantastic and a lot of hard work has gone into it all :) but yeah i whenever it relased it is relased atleast like myself i have it set up on a server and am using it now but just testing it seeing what it does so far, know there are a few odds and ends like in the admin panel etc.. and things but other than that everything seems to be functioning so not too far to go :)