Database size

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Svante

Database size

Post by Svante »

First of all, 2.2 seems to be great, loads of new features, but still easy to use, but:

I wonder. how big will the database be after converting an 2.0.x forum to the new 2.2, will it be smaller because of optimizion or will it be bigger because of features?
Join my PHPBB-forum: http://tgforum.tk" target="_blank

A phpBB 2.2 test forum: http://phpbb22.tk" target="_blank
DK

Re: Database size

Post by DK »

thats come up before but when you think about it, how can you tell. The database has too many factors to gauge. how many members... how many cats... how many forums..... how many posts..... a day, a week, a month etc etc etc, the ceiling you put on PM's etc.

for a gauge of vanilla to vanilla it's pretty close, at least fromm the two test ones I setup on my test server out of the box :D
CodeBuster

Post by CodeBuster »

From what I have seen...

much more tables and a lot more records in those tables too, that would suspect a significant increase in size. But that is only an increase to set parameters and permissions.

Some new options (like holding PM's until there is space) could also increase size. But most of the size will be caused by the posts and pm's.. i.e. what the people actually write... and in that light.. I suspect it would be business as usual
DK

Post by DK »

but at the same time you could be stricter and more diligent with setting PM storage ceilings [mine are all at 10 currently] and pruning your forum and actually make it smaller in the end. theres a lot of factors involved. When my forum was busy I manually pruned by the week and removed crap but kept pertinent info etc, but I also ran nightly maintenace scripts at 3am to clean things up etc similar to the way mssql server 2k does it I suppose
Ferretlover

Post by Ferretlover »

My databases have a tendancy to get kind of massive. I have 17 forums, 187 users, and an average of 33.5 posts per day, and do not prune because of the nature of my forums, and my database is up to 14.65 megs. Luckily my host dosen't care about the size of my databases and dosen't even count it in my usage amounts....now if I could just store the avatars in blobs my space would be near limitless :twisted:

Take Care,
Mike
Admin of the Engliton Forums

Engliton, The best Neverwinter Nights server out there.
Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I doubt you have much to worry about.

I, on the other hand, have a bit more to worry about -- 5200 users who have created 370,000 posts across 25 forums, for a total database size of 315MB or so. In a recent move to a new server, it took about 90 minutes just to import the database. Fortunately, I'll have the resources to do test implementations first.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.