Finally date?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
the_dan

Re: Finally date?

Post by the_dan »

q3utom wrote:doesnt the cvs give ppl a good idea of what needs to be done though?
What's in CVS may not be what's been coded ;)

Dan

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

q3utom wrote:doesnt the cvs give ppl a good idea of what needs to be done though?
What's in CVS may not be what's been coded ;)

Dan

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

yeah but it gives you quite a good idea to how close we are getting. Isnt perfect but its all you really need.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

q3utom wrote:yeah but it gives you quite a good idea to how close we are getting. Isnt perfect but its all you really need.
No it doesn't, if a whole major feature has been coded, but isnt in the CVS, then you end up in totally the wrong ballpark ;)

Dan

apike

Post by apike »

Roberdin wrote:The Group has also been reluctantly to released detailed To-do lists that contain some of their newer ideas because certain other boards might mystically create them before the phpBB developers have a chance (as I understand it).
I find this really interesting! I didn't realize the phpBB Group was so competitive with other forums. :) Well now I know. I guess this is especially true because other Forums can often develop faster.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Not neccessarily competitive as such; they simply don't want their ideas stolen.
Rob

apike

Post by apike »

Don't get me wrong - they totally deserve credit for their ideas. It's just that if other boards want to copy them, they'll do it sooner or later (though if they wait until they see the phpBB implementation rather than copying an idea, other boards would probably be better off.)

While it'd be nice for us to see a todo list, it's also nice to try and have phpBB always be the first implementation of ideas the phpBB devs came up with. :)

th23

Post by th23 »

apike wrote:...they'll do it sooner or later...
You're right, but I would prefer to see them implementing features "taken" from phpBB later... ;) :mrgreen:

th23

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

they simply don't want their ideas stolen
Or maybe they at least deserve and/or want to get the "credit" for the ideas and for implementing them first, as it may seem. It is like the old adage "he who publishes first gets the credit". In a scientific environment, publishing first and getting credit and the recognition is very similar. In a business world it may also be related to monetary issues as well (copyrights, patents, profit, etc.).

But many argue that not publishing (sharing) an idea early and holding off, may actually jeopardize any opportunity of getting the publish-first credit and corresponding recognition of "doing it first", "thinking it first", "posting it first", "listing roadmaps, features, and ideas first", etc. Whether to do it or not is a decision as well as a tough call, but can be a two-edged sword for trying to get credit for ideas and implementation of the ideas and getting the corresponding "publish-first" credit .

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

I've read around here somewhere a good post about this sort of thing, not sure of the link though.

phpBB is developed by real people who do it in their spare time. Come home after work, have dinner, chuck in a little phpBB work, go watch the TV and head off to bed, which is quite unlike the development schedule of an OS project such as Gaim.

While I agree a little more information would be great, I can fully understand them not wanting to hand out candy with idiots throwing it back in their face the day it's late. If the community were mature about it and when they said "Might be around sometime in spring" and spring came and went and no phpBB, if people said "ahh thats ok, keep up the good work though" we might get more infomrmation. It's the developers who don't give the info we want to hear but anyone care to take a guess as to why they don't feel like sharing...?