What are you plans for upgrading/testing?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Paul Grayson

What are you plans for upgrading/testing?

Post by Paul Grayson »

I'd just thought I'd ask other board operators for how they plan to implement the upgrade to 2.2, once it gets released.

In my case, this weekend I'll perform a full data backup of my own site, and use that data to replicate the full board on my own machine. I'll attempt to install the precise same version of PHP and Apache as my ISP. Then I'll install from the back-up to obtain a proper working version of my own board.

Then, once the beta arrives I'll update my own local copy of the site using a similar mechanism to the one I'd use to update the live one, looking for any pitfalls, and report any that I do find. Then I'll spend a few days testing the site functionality to see if anything doesn't work as expected; and again I'll report any problems to the developers. I've particular concerns about one part of my board - a hidden area only visible by and known to a select few users which contains posts on a sensitive nature, I don't want info on this to leak out during searches or during other actions on the board.

I'll then repeat this with each Beta and RC stage until I'm 100% happy, and only then will I upgrade the live site.

CodeBuster

Re: What are you plans for upgrading/testing?

Post by CodeBuster »

when you install the same apache and php version.. make sure to check with phpinfo() what functions your ISP has disabled also!

so far.. it's not going to be an easy task, as we have altered almost every page to suite our needs.. phpBB is not implemented IN our site... our site is build around it.. basicly what it means for us is.. start over again or stick with the old (but working 2.0) model.

there are also many changes in the database.. currently working on making an inventory on that. It is impossible to simply import data from one to the other dbase because of removed and changed fields. again, we made a lot of changes here too.. and will require some nifty data molesting to get it done

So far, we have our templates done.. YAY!!

Currently we are using 3 settings.. 1 is our own development.. were we alter the CVS release and think of ways to make it work.. this one actually runs next to or live site...
2nd is the original CVS release we are using but don't touch it.. (for reference in case we screw it up)
3rd is the bi-weekly new CVS, to compare with the second one and make a judgement call wether to update or not. Only the changed files will be replaced.
We also keep an extensive log of everything we change, so it is only a matter of copy and paste in case the new CVS is affecting our work,
place witty phrase here

Graham

Post by Graham »

Remember support for the 2.0.x line will continue even after the release of 2.2.x, so no one will be forcing you to update just to get support.

Personally, I won't be upgrading any sites until after the Gold release, althought I'll be doing development work with the release candidates locally to have at least some convertors ready to go (hopefully) with the release.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Paul Grayson

Post by Paul Grayson »

Luckily my site has very little modifications. Apart from a few changes to the page headers and a few new themes, the only other mods are a few minor edits to the pruning code, and a few extra tools that I've added to the Admin Control Panel. The database design hasn't been touched.

I think my main problem will be migrating the new themes. I need more than one as I've some instances of two users sharing the same PC and using themes to differentiate between the currently logged in user.

q3utom

Post by q3utom »

ive made quite a few mods so will just back db up run it see what happens and keep fingers crossed....

Ferretlover

Post by Ferretlover »

My forum is HEAVILY modded board. What I am looking to do is copy my forum databases(any tips on how to do this? please PM me) and folders to make for a new instalation...fixing up the cfg and such, so that I basically have a seperate instalation of the forums and their databases, so live use can continue. Then I will see what happens with a plain upgrade. I am far from expecting this to work, so the next step is to find problems and work around them till I know what needs done. Finally is shut down the board and do an upgrade and fix the real one.

Take care,
Mike
Admin of the Engliton Forums

Engliton, The best Neverwinter Nights server out there.

Paul Grayson

Post by Paul Grayson »

Well, my attempt to backup my current site via the phpBB backup mechanism failed when I ran it this weekend, with the backup aborting partway through with some form of timeout. Looks like something to do with the ISPs server config.

I've another mechanism for backing up the site, but that just backs up to local storage on the server.

I'll have another try this weekend.

eqbeastlord

Post by eqbeastlord »

I had this problem as well with a rather large forum. The best solution I cam up with since I don't have root access is to do backups through phpmyadmin.

I then had to break it up a few times to get it small enough to submit into the SQL files, but in the end it worked.

Lost a year of information because my dumb-a never checked the backups to make sure they were complete. Maybe an error could be shown in the phpbb admin window if the backup doesn't complete successfully.

Good luck! Can't wait for 2.2 :)

computersoc

Post by computersoc »

If I don't create a new folder and db on my host, I'll just install PHP, mySQL, etc. on my local machine. Export and import the 2.0.x files and db. Then I will upgrade it to 2.2. I will make the changes to the files and save them so I have it looking how I want it to look. Once I'm happy, I'll update my main board to 2.2 and then re-upload the files I changed or customized from my local machine. That should work, right?

Paul Grayson

Post by Paul Grayson »

I have considered phpmyadmin, but there's yet another method provided by my ISP. If I read their instructions correctly I can back up the entire site to a local file and then back out to the contents of this file if things go wrong.