Different Extensions .html .txt

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Roberdin

Re: Different Extensions .html .txt

Post by Roberdin »

Yes, but in Dreamweaver itself, you can't open TPL files from the project files pane nor is the text within them HTML highlighted unless you (manually, AFAIK) modify a mysterious settings file hidden somewhere.
Rob
{o}

Post by {o} »

Just about this :mrgreen:
(But i don't use Dreamvawer - i have something better...)
Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

Onlything better is the source, wih notepad2 is on top of that. ;)

.hml is of cause the best thing, as some editors and source editor do show sythic if it not .htmx
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank
Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

If you have problems with .tpl files then get a decent editor. All editors should be easily configurable to support any file extension, and if editor doesn't support it then dump that editor (this includes dreamweaver that is way too overbloated to be used for simple template editing).

File extension doesn't matter. And to avoid lots of questions from users I think the best would be to have .txt extension so users would edit it with notepad instead of frontpage/golive/any_other_wysiwyg_editor and would learn some html (i mean real html as in html tags, not wysiwyg editing).
Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

CyberAlien wrote:If you have problems with .tpl files then get a decent editor. All editors should be easily configurable to support any file extension, and if editor doesn't support it then dump that editor (this includes dreamweaver that is way too overbloated to be used for simple template editing).

File extension doesn't matter. And to avoid lots of questions from users I think the best would be to have .txt extension so users would edit it with notepad instead of frontpage/golive/any_other_wysiwyg_editor and would learn some html (i mean real html as in html tags, not wysiwyg editing).
:P :P .

Well i don't minded either, but .html makes more sense. same as funxtions being .php. I like this better. I use Notepad2 with is the bestthing to work with anything source. WYSIWYG it ok for simple stuff, but when you dealling with styles not even dreamweaver is good enought. I allways do source editing no mater what. It just better. ;)
What is The Viperal ?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

CyberAlien wrote:If you have problems with .tpl files then get a decent editor. All editors should be easily configurable to support any file extension, and if editor doesn't support it then dump that editor (this includes dreamweaver that is way too overbloated to be used for simple template editing).

Notepad sucks. You know why?

Going to a new line forces you to put tabs in yourself. Urgh. Wasted time. It doesn't highlight the syntax - meaning that spotting errors is a load more difficult. Does Notepad support auto FTP syncronise? To-do lists at the side? No.

I don't use a WYSIWYG editor myself, but I can see why people like them. I also don't use Notepad, for the reasons above. But remember that there are choices in between the two.
Rob
Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

Who uses otepad anyway, it doesn't havea anything usefull.

Notepad2 people http://www.flos-freeware.ch/" target="_blank

Full syntax for almost all formats, and it free. Perfict with winmerge, the CVS not the offical since the CVS has directory compareing and other features. ;)

Ya WYSIWYG is always good for doing simple stuff like doing write html reviews and stuff, but site desgin, not really that great, maybe for a draft that you can edit.

All Code for me dow.
What is The Viperal ?

Foxfire

Post by Foxfire »

okay cyber alien is entirely correct.

If your having problems with the app your using then dump it. And if you need a WYSIWYG editor, then you really ought to go out and buy yourself a good html book and then do it by hand with something like notepad (or notepad2).

In the long run, actually knowing HTML is by far more usefull than owning a $100 editor. It lets you debug things yourself and understand what the hell your doing. Nevermind the fact that most WYSIWYG editors that I have seen will occasionally screw up the html source code. You will get what you see when you preview it (in dreamweaver lets say), but when you load it onto a server it doesn't work. Now if you don't know HTML how do you fix it?

So save yourself all the trouble and get notepad2 and some good books on php and html.
DemonBob

Post by DemonBob »

Me recommends AceHTML PRO by Viscom Media
CodeBuster

Post by CodeBuster »

using Dreamweaver .. always have.. not my choice but it was forced upon me.. poor me. But 99% of the time I use it with code display.. not all the fancy glitter stuff, it is distracting and it messes up the code. I have my own style of coding and I don't want some smart-ass proggy to mess that all up for me.. aaarggh FrontPage.. still have nightmares from that time. I hate it.. they want to re-arrange my code but if I type ..

2 + 2 =

and.. see.. it doesn't know the answer to that so what right did it earn to mess with My Code.. Still I prefer Dreamweaver.. it's more like making a choice between which car to use to go to the grocery store ... my Nissan Micrattitude.. or my Ferrari Testosteron 8O you still get at the same place at the same time with the same purpose..

Oh.. the topic.. :lol:
It doesn't really matter, because you can still put in a "index.html" with a redirect to the logout page :twisted: and if they really want it they will get it anyway
place witty phrase here