What browser do you devs use?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
trenzterra

What browser do you devs use?

Post by trenzterra »

Just wondering what browsers you phpBB developers use for previewing the templates and stuff in phpBB. Because not everything is cross-compatible right now, it seems, but of course, I don't blame anyone for this except myself, because it's not even in Beta. Just curious!

grön

Re: What browser do you devs use?

Post by grön »

I guess since they are developers the probebly takes the diskspace to install a couple of diffrent browsers and loking it up in the all, and I have tested it in lynx witout any problemes, why not becurse php sends a html file to the browser and evry browser supports HTML and displays it in a fairly similar way.
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

grön wrote:why not becurse php sends a html file to the browser and evry browser supports HTML and displays it in a fairly similar way.
Almost true.

But it also bepends on if the HTML is currect or not and if you brower support the standard that is used. phpBB2.2 uses XHTML, will not new a few browers don't support it currectly.

Note also that the template used here are not finished so the may have some problems.

I use Firefox and it look fine.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

DK

Post by DK »

use www.browsercam.com

no reason to load a million browsers, let it take the screens for you ;)

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

DK wrote:use www.browsercam.com

no reason to load a million browsers, let it take the screens for you ;)
Good reason to load a million browsers, is that it wont cost you a buck a url... Thats complete asinine.

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Viperal2 wrote:
grön wrote:why not becurse php sends a html file to the browser and evry browser supports HTML and displays it in a fairly similar way.
Almost true.

But it also bepends on if the HTML is currect or not and if you brower support the standard that is used. phpBB2.2 uses XHTML, will not new a few browers don't support it currectly.

Note also that the template used here are not finished so the may have some problems.

I use Firefox and it look fine.
I don't know if you noticed it, but the left bar just doesn't look right. It's like everything is squeezed together. So I'm guessing they use IE to code? It looks much better in it.

joe@fta

Post by joe@fta »

I only use IE to preview my new template.
It's because I've stat my member and guest of my forum. There has more then 90% is using IE to browse my forum.

Is it not good to only use IE ? :oops:
phpBB 2.1.x Snapshots portal page in Chinese (is building & testing .... )
http://www.freetalkarea.com/tctest22" target="_blank

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Not if you are a webmaster.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

joe@fta wrote:Is it not good to only use IE ? :oops:
Of course not. More and more users are using other browsers these days. Number of users using IE is much less than 90%, and especially if forum is related to coding.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

CyberAlien wrote:Number of users using IE is much less than 90%, and especially if forum is related to coding.
Sometime even below the magic 50% mark...
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way