What browser do you devs use?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
kieroth_whiteleaf

Re: What browser do you devs use?

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

It definitely depends on the website.

I work as a contractor for both a school and a bank (among others).

In the school, teachers aren't allowed to install their own software - so until we started installing Mozilla on their systems in addition to IE, there was like 98% page views on the district home site (where the email and student data services links are) from IE. The stray 2% were people getting into things from home, often with netscape or safari.

Now that we've installed mozilla and done some basic training on it, it's shifted to closer to 65%/33% IE/Mozilla.

At the bank, most of the devs (who do an insane number of page refreshes) and a lot of the tellers use Mozilla. Since employees are the main people who use site resources, IE accounts for less than 50% of page views.

So it's pretty relative. On my main website it's mostly mozilla with a lot of IE because the staff members primarily like mozilla better. My main tech uses safari, so there's a lot of that as well. Most of my client traffic is mozilla and IE.

*I* think that if a site is coded well for mozilla, IE and safari you're probably okay because those are the main ones, but two years ago I wouldn't have said anything for mozilla at all.

Stuff changes.

Obviously, good page design would say that you stick to standards well enough that it doesn't *MATTER* what browser you use, but most sites (phpBB included) do a good job of keeping it looking alright no matter what.

SFG

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

My personal opinion:

If a page is XHMTL 1 compliant and it looks wrong in a particular browser, then the flaw is with the browser.
I can't delete my signature.

Pschilly

Post by Pschilly »

grrrlromeo wrote:My personal opinion:

If a page is XHMTL 1 compliant and it looks wrong in a particular browser, then the flaw is with the browser.
i agree :D

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

But then if the browser devs don't fix it, I think phpBB has to fix it, if not, it (phpBB) would receive bad press even if its not their fault, and put many people down. That's my opinion.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I think this whole discussion is somewhat irrelevant to phpBB given we clearly strive to ensure consistent look and feel across browsers.

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

The difference is there in Firefox compared to IE/Opera.

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~furrypandy/fflook.PNG" target="_blank to see what I mean.

dhn

Post by dhn »

trenzterra wrote:The difference is there in Firefox compared to IE/Opera.

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~furrypandy/fflook.PNG" target="_blank to see what I mean.
When were you told to report bugs? ;) Believe me, a great chunk of the phpbb team members are using Firefox.

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Is this considered bug reporting? I dunno, never heard of bugs before in HTML. It's good to know that they use Firefox then.

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

trenzterra wrote:The difference is there in Firefox compared to IE/Opera.

You know, just dusted IE off from under all then old folders. Didn't know that was a bug, just tought it was still be worked on.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank