Too Complicated

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
NuclearX

Re: Too Complicated

Post by NuclearX »

incubusnb wrote:i just have to say, even though this is refering to the 1st post:

i failed Computer sciences with a 30% average, and i had one of the lowest averages in High School and yet, the UCP is easy enough for me (then again, failing a Canadian High school might be like getting Honors in an American one, cuz i'm by no means an Idiot)
School has really nothing to do with how smart you are, it really just weeds out the lazy people like me. I never finished high school, yet I am fluent in HTML and pretty good with CSS, and I am now learning PHP (I am also very good with English grammar). ;)

asgl

Post by asgl »

i think phpbb isn't complicated for its functions (i like powerful scripts);
it's complicated for its source code.
i know quite well PHP, but i spend a month only for learn how phpBB 2.0.x works.

molotov

Post by molotov »

I have noticed that IPB has added feature after feature after feature. I hate it.

When too many features are added, several things happen:
  • Users get overwhelmed
  • Users get confused
  • Users don't make use of these new features
  • More bugs as a result of more code
  • More security holes as a result of more code
  • Slower execution times as a result of more code
IPB exemplifies the results of adding too many features. Although I enjoy using some of the features (such as Fast Reply), many features are clutter, which make learning to use the forums more difficult.

Since I have been using forums I have noticed that many (probably the majority) of users are 'noobies'. They know very little about programming, and play a lot of games.

If you are wondering about the accuracy of this statement, check out http://www.big-boards.com and you will find that the first board that deals with programming, or web design, is FAR down.

I enjoy the simple, easy-to-use forums that are also fast-loading. Add the features that users will use, not the gimicks so that the forums is "fully-featured" and has "more features than any other board". This is why I switched to phpBB, because it is NO commercial, is NOT driven by money and marketing, and is just striving to produce the best product.

No other forum can really compete. I used to write hacks for IPB (for the alpha versions!) and back then it was simple, easy to use. Now it is crap.

phpBB, keep doing what you are doing, and don't be motivated by being able to boast that you have more features than any other board. Simple sleek interfaces is where computing is going (iPod anyone?).

-Jordan

skyraider

Post by skyraider »

I enjoy the simple, easy-to-use forums that are also fast-loading. Add the features that users will use, not the gimicks so that the forums is "fully-featured" and has "more features than any other board". This is why I switched to phpBB, because it is NO commercial, is NOT driven by money and marketing, and is just striving to produce the best product.

No other forum can really compete. I used to write hacks for IPB (for the alpha versions!) and back then it was simple, easy to use. Now it is crap.

phpBB, keep doing what you are doing, and don't be motivated by being able to boast that you have more features than any other board. Simple sleek interfaces is where computing is going (iPod anyone?).
One method to approach a sleek interface and avoid feature overload for webmasters who simply don't need moderation, emoticons, or private messaging would be a feature control panel.

This panel could allow the administrator to remove extra features such as the ones listed above. A feature control panel would be useful for a travel forum or a quick help forum, where almost no one needs emoticons or post icons.
Another useful situation for an 'FCP': webmasters who want more of a blogging for their site do not need private messaging.
Don't never use double negatives... err... yeah.
Webmaster of The Barren North.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Private Messaging can already be disabled, IIRC, for a user, group, or everyone. I'm pretty sure that it can be disabled across the board and per user in 2.0.x as well.
Rob

andrew johnson

Post by andrew johnson »

Roberdin wrote:Private Messaging can already be disabled, IIRC, for a user, group, or everyone. I'm pretty sure that it can be disabled across the board and per user in 2.0.x as well.
i recall that but they can turned on again if person finds option :)
i love valentino rossi = it COOOL
TEST test test test

rossmcclymont

Post by rossmcclymont »

Wow - this has been causing a stir for longer than I thought it would! :lol:

Just popped in to say that (even though a snapshot won't install for me...) I think I will like 2.2's interface better.

For about a month I was working with IPB because I was going to convert over to that - having more feautes and all - but after some deliberation I decided that phpBB is, was, and probably always will be the best forum IMO.

So - using IPB's interface has got me liking and getting used to it more - and I think IPB has more options that what I've seen of phpBB2.2! :D

So, cheers guys and keep up the good work! :D :D :D

nicopaul

Post by nicopaul »

I agree with the majority on this one, sure it may be more advanced, and seems a bit more complicated at first.. even the ACP, it takes a tiny bit of getting used to.. and any webmaster feeling that there is too much, should be able to remove almost anything without too many complications. :) Or, as stated, 2.0.10 is a great option!

nico
nicopaul - known as "pianistsk8er" on the main site.

Visit my classical music website/forum.

nicopaul

Post by nicopaul »

molotov wrote:I have noticed that IPB has added feature after feature after feature. I hate it.

When too many features are added, several things happen:
  • Users get overwhelmed
  • Users get confused
  • Users don't make use of these new features
  • More bugs as a result of more code
  • More security holes as a result of more code
  • Slower execution times as a result of more code
IPB exemplifies the results of adding too many features. Although I enjoy using some of the features (such as Fast Reply), many features are clutter, which make learning to use the forums more difficult.

Since I have been using forums I have noticed that many (probably the majority) of users are 'noobies'. They know very little about programming, and play a lot of games.

If you are wondering about the accuracy of this statement, check out http://www.big-boards.com and you will find that the first board that deals with programming, or web design, is FAR down.

-Jordan
You have said all that I could say and then some.

Plus, as we speak, my iPod is in the mail!! :mrgreen:

Cheers to phpBB!
nicopaul - known as "pianistsk8er" on the main site.

Visit my classical music website/forum.