Too Complicated

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
rossmcclymont

Too Complicated

Post by rossmcclymont »

I don't mean to sound horrible or bitchy, but I am afraid that phpBB2.2 will become too complicated and have too many things in it. I wasn't too impressed with InvisionBoards because it's like you needed lots of qualifications just to add a member or change a colour somewhere, and I'm concerned that phpBB2/2 will become semi-like this.

It's not just the Admin Control Panel that worries me - when I have a look at my profile at this board - it looks kinda complicated - there are too many sections to it - I think it would be better if things were merged together in less templates like the current released version of phpBB2.

I'm sure the new phpBB2.2 forums will be great, but I just wanted to voice my concern... :D

Maybe if there was a function to change the interface to something more simple if you wanted to?

upsTex

Re: Too Complicated

Post by upsTex »

You don't necessarily have to upgrade to phpBB 2.2, as there are stable releases
of phpBB 2.0.x

Also you can use templating to not show all of the things/sections if you don't want to. :)
- upsTex

rossmcclymont

Post by rossmcclymont »

I know I don't have to upgrade to it, it was just for other people - it looked way too complicated for me and I'm one of the most intelligent people in my year group at school...... 8O

{o}

Post by {o} »

Most inteligent... :lol: So - I suppose You are American* :twisted:

Tell me - what is complicated in UCP? This, that you must choose, what kind of options you would like to see? You really think, that merging these subpages would make them easier to understand? It is proved and well known that displaying too many options on one page makes user feels lost.

As said - you can cut out these parts which you don't want.

*sorry...

upsTex

Post by upsTex »

Yes - templating should be easier in phpBB 2.2 also. :)
- upsTex

rossmcclymont

Post by rossmcclymont »

{o} wrote:Most inteligent... :lol: So - I suppose You are American* :twisted:

Tell me - what is complicated in UCP? This, that you must choose, what kind of options you would like to see? You really think, that merging these subpages would make them easier to understand? It is proved and well known that displaying too many options on one page makes user feels lost.

As said - you can cut out these parts which you don't want.

*sorry...
Em - no I'm not American thank you - I was born, and still live in, Edinburgh! :evil:

I think that too many different options would make users feel lost. If they're merged on fewer pages, then there would be less options to choose from and hence be easier, in my opinion, to comprehend...

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Sorry, don't follow that logic at all ... you're saying it's better to merge the current range of options into fewer pages? How does that help except blur the relevance of the various options? Generally it's better to seperate options into like categories, helping to clarify just what an option is intended to do.

You surely aren't saying "remove options"? Because that's simply not going to happen, 2.2+ is the more feature orientated line of 2.x, was planned that way and is being executed that way. If you want fewer options, etc. 2.0.x is for you.

rossmcclymont

Post by rossmcclymont »

I don't want less features, I just want it to look more like 2.0.x...

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

You can't have more features and have it remain the same ;) As I've noted, all you'll get is a single page with several dozen options ... hardly condusive to ease of use :D

APTX

Post by APTX »

Since were at options... some of them can fit in two or more groups (First time I installed 2.1 I thought user permissions would be under user/groups). Could you order the admin / ucp links not alphabeticaly but in a order of importnace or frequency of use (After you've set up your forum the most common thing you do in the admin panel is changing permissions and banning)? As an example the server settings could be at the bottom of the menu becouse those are the options you don't usually change every day.
Hope you'll find my point of view interesting.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!