Status Updates on Development Progress of phpBB 2.2 ??

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
mbressman

Status Updates on Development Progress of phpBB 2.2 ??

Post by mbressman »

Hi,

I've been using phpBB for a little over a year now, and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of phpBB 2.2. I completely understand that things shouldn't be rushed and that development should proceed slowly and surely to ensure that the final product is bug-free and truly spectacular. I also understand that the development team is hesitant to publish an expected release date since it might have to be changed in the future. However, it would be nice to have an idea of the current status of the development, as well as sporadic updates of development in the future, and perhaps even an "unofficial" ETA. This way, those of us who are eagerly awaiting the final product can track its progress as well as perhaps having some clue as to when we might be able to get our hands on this new software and begin implementing it ourselves. If sporadic updates on progress are posted elsewhere, and I missed them, I apologize in advance (and could someone please direct me to them). Otherwise, is this something that can be done?

Thanks!

- marc
Viperal2

Re: Status Updates on Development Progress of phpBB 2.2 ??

Post by Viperal2 »

My guess is that there on the final stages (code cleanups, fixes, minor changes, etc)
Just my guess, don't think it will be to long for beta to appear.

Note the CVS doesn't have all the updates and features that are done on this site (it ahead of the CVS)

Just my guess
But they have stated again and again
It ready when it ready
and yes it does get anoying asking the same questons over and over.

Viperal
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank
mbressman

Post by mbressman »

What does CVS stand for?
Stelminator

Post by Stelminator »

mbressman wrote:What does CVS stand for?
concurrent versioning system.

An efficient piece of software to track ongoing changes in files, usually used for tracking changes in software code. it allows storing changes to be fairly painless, at least once you get used to it. Once stored, versions are difficult or impossible to remove (that's a good thing). This way, it's easy to make backups without having to save 101 different copies of your files. I say the system is efficient because, most, if not all, CVS software only records the changes in the software. so, if you change one line, it records enough info to make note of the change without storing an entire new copy.

concurrent, because it allows multiple users to edit the same file or piece of code at the same time, but saves them as diffent versions, so the changes do not interfere with each other. it also makes merging these separate changes back together somewhat easy, as it is possible to identify conflicting changes (only the lines themselves, things such as a change in the implementation of a used function won't be caught.)

you can also access old versions about as easy as the current version. if you make changes in the code that cause it to malfunction, you can progressive step the code back in versions to see exactly what change made the problem happen. you can then split that version off from the rest, and start a new line from there, without interferring with the stored copies of the previous "current" version.

I hope I got that correct, and that it helps you understand.

as to the ETA of 2.2, it sounds like sometime in 2004, but not guaranteed.
Wert

Post by Wert »

Stelminator wrote:
as to the ETA of 2.2, it sounds like sometime in 2004, but not guaranteed.
That is correct as even the most cursory use of the "search function" would have revealed to the initial poster.

Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.
Stelminator

Post by Stelminator »

Wert wrote:That is correct as even the most cursory use of the "search function" would have revealed to the initial poster.
Ok, first, nobody kill me for this post, please?
I fully understand that "it'll be done when it's done” and I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of very awesome features in the CVS versions I've tried, and might as well have time to get used to them before the official release comes out and I upgrade my real board.

I was also very curious about the release date when I first started reading these boards (admittedly not long ago). A cursory search would reveal that the release is expected in 2004. However, a more in depth search reveals that it was also expected in 2003, so, I searched more and found that, no, it hadn't been released, and was still in development.

So, eh, whatever, I'm still afraid of all the stuff in 2.2.:-)
the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Nobody knows.
Some stuff that was scheduled for Milestones far ahead of the current one has been added, so we could be anywhere really.
My personal guess is that we may see a beta fairly soon, or, at least, thats what I'm hoping :D

Dan
mbressman

Post by mbressman »

In case anyone is interested, it seems the email notifications from this board don't contain working links back to the board...
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

We're getting there is about all I can say. Things are progressing fairly well again. There are a number of areas which need tidying up, a few things left to implement, etc. There will be no Milestone 4. As for a date, well 2004 is certainly correct, in terms of actual dates, really don't want to say in case something happens but I do have a period in mind.
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

That all sounds great :D

Thanks for the info :)
Rob