Db or cookie tracking?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
computersoc

Db or cookie tracking?

Post by computersoc »

What is better for the user?
What is better for the server (faster)?

If I'm logged in one two computers, and have the cookie one enabled, would different topics show up, etc. because I'm on two diff. computers therefore two different cookies (one on one and one on the other)?

Thanks. :)

Graham

Re: Db or cookie tracking?

Post by Graham »

IMO, database tracking is better for the user since the read marks follow you around to all the computers you use.

Db tracking is also better from a bandwidth perspective since you are not constantly passing cookies backwards and forwards.

Instinctively I would argue that cookie tracking puts less load on the server (fewer queries) and uses less space on the server (not storing the info in the db), but on all but very large boards I suspect this would be minimal. However I don't think that there is yet the data to argue this either way.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!