Upgrade Path for Mods in php2.0.x

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
MKruer

Upgrade Path for Mods in php2.0.x

Post by MKruer »

OK I know this is a potentially stupid question to ask but I must. I have been using phpbb 2.0.x for over a year now, and about six months ago installed the attachment mod. because I looks like 2.2 will be released late in the year, I was going to install the Categories Hierarchy (sub-forums) mod, but my question is are you going to support a converter for the major mods when the release candidates come out specifically the afore mentioned mods.
DoD

Re: Upgrade Path for Mods in php2.0.x

Post by DoD »

Your answer is in the FAQ. To view it you have to click the view last unread post link to the left of the topic title, if it is still there.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Failing that, this link will work

Development FAQ

There is a probably upgrade path from the attachment MOD to the new attachment feature, but other MODs will be up to the various MOD Authors.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
MKruer

Post by MKruer »

That really didn’t answer my question. The reason why I asked is because the 2.2 will have both features by default, but the underlying structure may have been changed. Now I know that the attachment mod is virtually one for one as it is in the 2.2, but the what about the sub forums? Besides the attachment mod is officially validated where the sub forums have not been, and that was the whole reason I asked the question.
geocator

Post by geocator »

The phpBB team has stated that the upgrade script will upgrade the vanilla phpBB as well as the atachment mod (Acyd is a developer now) and thats it. If you have other MODS installed you wll have to a)manualy make the nessacary changes or b) wait for the MOD authorto provide a way to upgrade.
MKruer

Post by MKruer »

thank thats what i was looking for. so i will not mod the site, oh well
Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

I imagine that the most the phpBB group will provide is a brief explaination of the changes made to phpBB's utility API.
MKruer

Post by MKruer »

Well I think that if the php dev team released a 2.0.x package that included file attachments and or subfourms, that you would stop about 90% of the people asking for 2.2 faster.

Just my 2 cents
VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

That won't happen, because 2.0.x is feature frozen, security releases only.

Not to mention phpBB2.2 is more than halfway done, the team just has to finish Milestone 3, and then I would assume Milestone 4 won't take very long, it's just Private Messages, Last Minute Feature Requests, and minor touch ups, and then it's crunch time.

BETA, Release Candidates, and Finals. Oh my!
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"