When??

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Webmaster2

When??

Post by Webmaster2 »

When the phpBB 2.2 will go on the internet (to download it)
gwkampfengerl

Re: When??

Post by gwkampfengerl »

Webmaster2 wrote:When the phpBB 2.2 will go on the internet (to download it)
according to the developers it will be ready sometime in 2004. a simple search would have told you this as well :)

gwgreetings,
kampfengerl
avissoft

Post by avissoft »

we're in 2004 and almost half the year is over..and its still not out.. why ??? :|

and some people are saying thast phpbb devs. are developing v3 and they are spending all their time on 3 instead of 2.2 is this true also ?

thanks!
Can you dig it sucka ?
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

avissoft wrote:we're in 2004 and almost half the year is over..and its still not out.. why ??? :|
Because it'll be done when it's done and not one day sooner?
avissoft wrote: and some people are saying thast phpbb devs. are developing v3 and they are spending all their time on 3 instead of 2.2 is this true also ?
Some people need to remove their tin foil hats.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way
dhn

Post by dhn »

avissoft wrote:and some people are saying thast phpbb devs. are developing v3 and they are spending all their time on 3 instead of 2.2 is this true also ?
Only half of the staff, the other half is helping develop Longhorn over at the MS facilities.
Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

The year isn't half over and even then, that still gives you more than 6 months.
chrisa

Post by chrisa »

dhn wrote:
avissoft wrote:and some people are saying thast phpbb devs. are developing v3 and they are spending all their time on 3 instead of 2.2 is this true also ?
Only half of the staff, the other half is helping develop Longhorn over at the MS facilities.
ROFL!!! Nice one. What about MS SQL Server Yukon? :P

PHP
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Not Radio wrote:The year isn't half over and even then, that still gives you more than 6 months.
As a developer, no matter how experienced you are or how stable your code seems to be on your server, You want to leave yourself some time for beta testing. Say a couple months minimum.

Then you "only" have 4 months to finish just over one milestone. It is plenty of time, as long as progress is fairly quick.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
SamG

Post by SamG »

For the sake of discussion, let's suppose progress has ground to a halt. Let's suppose unforeseen events in the lives of the developers prevent substantial 2.2 development for weeks on end. What if, despite the developers' best intentions, 2.2 doesn't get releases this year? How are we going to react?

For some, no doubt the best solution would be to migrate from phpBB altogether. For others, 2.2 deployment isn't a make-or-break issue. Many of the people who are currently populating phpBB-powered forums may not care about new versions of the software, may in fact be quite comfortable with what they've got. Lots of people all over the Internet focus in discussion and community and not on the software at all.

I just think the "when?" question isn't getting us anywhere, and never really has. I think we need to assume the developers do the best they can, rather than the reverse, and just wait. Or move on. Whichever our circumstances require.

Just my opinion.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
avissoft

Post by avissoft »

SamG wrote:For the sake of discussion, let's suppose progress has ground to a halt. Let's suppose unforeseen events in the lives of the developers prevent substantial 2.2 development for weeks on end. What if, despite the developers' best intentions, 2.2 doesn't get releases this year? How are we going to react?

For some, no doubt the best solution would be to migrate from phpBB altogether. For others, 2.2 deployment isn't a make-or-break issue. Many of the people who are currently populating phpBB-powered forums may not care about new versions of the software, may in fact be quite comfortable with what they've got. Lots of people all over the Internet focus in discussion and community and not on the software at all.

I just think the "when?" question isn't getting us anywhere, and never really has. I think we need to assume the developers do the best they can, rather than the reverse, and just wait. Or move on. Whichever our circumstances require.

Just my opinion.
Well what can i say ? But i think this is not professional. Proffessional developers are time bound and they deliver when they say. Rest people do care if phpbb 2.2 does not gets released in time. Some people have not upgraded their bb for long time due to 2.2...they are waiting for this one so they don't have to attach these mod's thing etc. all over again and again.

Anyways see ya!
Can you dig it sucka ?