Woah!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
upsTex

Woah!

Post by upsTex »

I just downloaded phpBB 2.0.8 today and I have to say I am impressed. Then I was looking around and found phpBB 2.2!! I can't wait intill this is released!!

Cool. :D My server was blowed up by the other software I was using- but I found phpBB to be reliable safe and efective! Thanks. :D
- upsTex

JAMMAN

Re: Woah!

Post by JAMMAN »

upsTex wrote:I just downloaded phpBB 2.0.8 today and I have to say I am impressed. Then I was looking around and found phpBB 2.2!! I can't wait intill this is released!!

Cool. :D My server was blowed up by the other software I was using- but I found phpBB to be reliable safe and efective! Thanks. :D
Always free, excellent support, open source, easy to mod, I wouldn't use anything else at any price. ;)

Freeman

Post by Freeman »

JAMMAN wrote:Always free, excellent support, open source, easy to mod, I wouldn't use anything else at any price. ;)
easy to mod? are you kidding? i dont know about phpBB2.2 but phpBB2.0.x has a very long and difficult code. I've been modding all kinds of forums software. I'd have to say that vBulletin is the easiest, its also the best forums soft available. phpBB will never come so far... vB costs tho, and alot :(

the biggest problem with phpBB is that you can always recognize it and the colors & font... arent very good... they are calm for the eye but they form an ugly combination.

that's it :D

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

** watching from a safe distance as Freeman braces for subsequent thrashing :) *)

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Freeman wrote:
JAMMAN wrote:Always free, excellent support, open source, easy to mod, I wouldn't use anything else at any price. ;)
easy to mod? are you kidding? i dont know about phpBB2.2 but phpBB2.0.x has a very long and difficult code. I've been modding all kinds of forums software. I'd have to say that vBulletin is the easiest, its also the best forums soft available. phpBB will never come so far... vB costs tho, and alot :(

the biggest problem with phpBB is that you can always recognize it and the colors & font... arent very good... they are calm for the eye but they form an ugly combination.

Last time I checked, phpBB followed a popular set of coding standards. Not many popular bulletin boards do ... If you don't like phpBB, why are you here? If you like phpBB and want to use it, great. If not, we certainly aren't keeping you here.

JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

Freeman wrote:

Ok let me rephrase...

I have also been in the "board" business for a while having done many different flavors of BB software.

phpBB is priced right. Vbull is bloated and messy from a code standpoint. I wouldn't use it if it was free.

If you find phpBB difficult to mod it is purely because you don't have the brains to do it.

Any "mistakes" or inadequacies the fine phpbb group has inflicted in previous issues of their software has been more than corrected in the 2.2 development.

It's good to have an opinion but I know for a fact yours is...wrong.

Jim

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Freeman wrote: easy to mod? are you kidding? i dont know about phpBB2.2 but phpBB2.0.x has a very long and difficult code. I've been modding all kinds of forums software. I'd have to say that vBulletin is the easiest, its also the best forums soft available. phpBB will never come so far... vB costs tho, and alot :(

I just had to reply. When I first started building my current site, I knew it needed a BBS. I didn't know anything about PHP or MySQL, in fact phpBB was the first PHP code I ever looked at. The day after I installed phpBB, I added the Attachment Mod, eXtreme Styles and Automatic Ranks. I was a complete PHP newbie and found modding phpBB to be relatively easy. A month later I was writing my own PHP code and my entire site was in PHP. I actually learned PHP by reading the phpBB code. Now I'm completely comfortable coding in PHP and working with a database. How 'bout them apples?
I can't delete my signature.

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

How can you have "vBulletin" and "clean clode" in one post without a bold "does not" in between?

DoD

Post by DoD »

sparkster wrote:How can you have "vBulletin" and "clean clode" in one post without a bold "does not" in between?
Like that one? :P

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Micheal wrote:If you don't like phpBB, why are you here?
Because he's a silly little vB troll ... a well known species that after spending a large amount of money on a product feels the need to give themselves positive reinforcement in any and all ways possible.