phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other BB.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
psoTFX

Re: phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other

Post by psoTFX »

You really are quite an offensive character aren't you ... what a great start you've made here, complaint after complaint ... yet half of what you say is inaccurate. Can't upload avatars via the browser? That's been a feature of 2.0.x since before beta-1. I suggest you look more carefully before casting aspersions.
avissoft

Post by avissoft »

I have 2.0.6 installed and i see the following options of avatar:

Upload Avatar from a URL:
Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image, it will be copied to this site.

Link to off-site Avatar:
Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image you wish to link to.

Select Avatar from gallery

No browse thing like other bbs
Can you dig it sucka ?
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

avissoft wrote:Maybe you all are right but lets get one thing straight that phpbb is lacking! Why a simple mod file attachment is not added to phpbb earlier ?
phpBB2.0.x was a core rewrite from 1.x and attachments was never put down as a feature for that release and it was always planned that 2.2.x was to be the feature addition release plus speed enhancements.

The Attachment MOD for 2.0.x is probably the most feature rich of all BBS attachment functionality and gives you at least 4 ways to add it off the top of my head, manually MODing files, using pre-MODed files, UNIX patch and if Easy-MOD is install, it would probably work that way to.

Attachments was always planned for 2.2.x and it works here, quite well infact.
avissoft wrote: Also there are several simple features missing foreg:

You can't upload avatars from browser - this feature is standard and i think 9 out of 10 boards have installed the mod.
I'm not too sure which universe you are in, but it's possible to upload avatars from local files since phpBB2.0.x... perhaps the boards you visiited just don't allow local uploading?
avissoft wrote: You can't have custom bb codes - Could have been a simple feature but i think phpbb dev. team decided something else..but oh well we'll see how well 2.2 preforms...
It wasn't planned for 2.0.x, but is in 2.2.x and works quite nicely here thanks.
avissoft wrote: is 2.2 ready to kick vb 3 ? or still we'll have to wait?

Thanks!
Quite bashing other boards, I don't (and I'd assume most phpBB supporters) give a flying festering rancid monkeys about if phpBB kicks whomevers backside.

2.2.x is the next release which will see some nifty new features based on a clean and lean codebase and possible a few surprises too.

But if you wish to be in bed with some other BBS solution if you see it as working better for you, so be it, your trolling so far in a meagre 5 posts of thereabout is getting rather tiresome already.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

avissoft wrote:I have 2.0.6 installed and i see the following options of avatar:

Upload Avatar from a URL:
Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image, it will be copied to this site.

Link to off-site Avatar:
Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image you wish to link to.

Select Avatar from gallery

No browse thing like other bbs
No surprise (to me anyway) you've got a bad case of user error

http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/#section3_2_2_5" target="_blank

http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/#section4_7_3" target="_blank
avissoft

Post by avissoft »

Hi!

Well i don't want to offensive but i think when you're doing somethign you should do it more carefully. My complaning should help you build better stuff instead of givng old stuff again and again.

No one said to you that you keep phpBB free.. but if its free then you are the one who made it free...if i say you now that make 2.2 paid will you do it ? No, you won't...!!

Instead of saying that features you are asking are in 2.2 or will be made available soon..u said to me to go away...that pretty imporfessional brother.

Rest i am not here to stick for all my life..i have other important things to do...but i was trying to help my way. If you can't live with it then its not my problem because i am a professional and i don't get angry BROTHER!

Thanks!
Can you dig it sucka ?
SHS`

Post by SHS` »

avissoft wrote:Hi!

Well i don't want to offensive but i think when you're doing somethign you should do it more carefully. My complaning should help you build better stuff instead of givng old stuff again and again.
Quite how to you think the current clean and efficient codebase have come about if it wasn't for careful planning and kludging every feature under the sun just because someone requests it with making proper judgement as to if it's useful, can be implimented efficiently, et cetera?

Your complaining only shows to the rest of the world quite how deluded and mis-guided you are. Ho-hum.
avissoft wrote: No one said to you that you keep phpBB free.. but if its free then you are the one who made it free...if i say you now that make 2.2 paid will you do it ? No, you won't...!!
phpBB is released under GPL ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License" target="_blank ) and one of the requirements is that the full source code must always be available freely.
avissoft wrote: Instead of saying that features you are asking are in 2.2 or will be made available soon..u said to me to go away...that pretty imporfessional brother.
If you went up to a stranger and started mouthing off at them, I'd be very surprised if you didn't at the very least get a slap in the face or possibly a good kicking for being an obnoxious so and so.

It's also quite apparent that English may not be your first language, but I'd doubt your "questions" would have been any less obnoxious in whatever your native language is.
avissoft wrote: Rest i am not here to stick for all my life..i have other important things to do...but i was trying to help my way. If you can't live with it then its not my problem because i am a professional and i don't get angry BROTHER!

Thanks!
I couldn't make head nor tail from what you said there, but coming in and posting Ad hominem after Ad hominem on what the dvelopers are doing w.r.t to phpBB2.2.x pushing your own agenda based on mis-guidance and non-truths... you really expect to win anyone over at all?

Grow up.
Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Everything you said will be in 2.2, and its already know in current stable release possible to upload avatars from browser....
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."
Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

[edit: redundant]