phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other BB.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
EliteLamer

phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other BB.

Post by EliteLamer »

I have been doing further research on Forum culture on the internet. It appears that phpBB is lacking features, that other forum systems have as standard, example: IPB.

Yes, when phpBB started. The features phpBB provided were the "industry standard" for free forum systems. Though now that time has moved on, phpBB is lacking "new" "industry standard features".

What webmasters are doing to make phpBB industry standard? They need to visit sites such as http://www.phpbbhacks.com" target="_blank and heavily modify the phpBB code, "just to meet industry standard".

phpBB team of experts, need to analize the key and most popular downloads of sites such as http://www.phpbbhacks.com" target="_blank and make them standard features.

Yes we do use phpBB and yes we do want to continue using phpBB and no we don't want to change forum system. "But" when one has to spend more time modifying phpBB to make it alike to more up to date forum systems like IPB, we start to wonder what direction phpBB team of experts are taking the future of phpBB.
Member of the security community.

Draegonis

Re: phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other

Post by Draegonis »

EliteLamer wrote:Though now that time has moved on, phpBB is lacking "new" "industry standard features".
Hence phpBB 2.2.
Incidentally, a lot of these "industry standards" are phpBB's brainchildren.

EliteLamer

Post by EliteLamer »

Draegonis wrote:
EliteLamer wrote:Though now that time has moved on, phpBB is lacking "new" "industry standard features".
Hence phpBB 2.2.
Incidentally, a lot of these "industry standards" are phpBB's brainchildren.
No one is arguing that. At the same time alot weren't though and are still to be considered and implemented towards a phpBB22 release.
Member of the security community.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Many, such as a Calendar, are just bloat.
Rob

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

phpBB 2.0 has everything you'll need. The only function that is missing is attachments, but that's what attachments mod is for.

All other extras are not really needed, and if someone needs something then there are lots of mods that can be easily installed. Or you can download one of premodded overbloated phpBB clones :| that have everything you don't need.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Plus, if I can be a kiss-ass for a moment, if you implement mods to make your forum better you get a better understanding of how to use and run it.. A year ago I knew nothing about web design or php (and still have a lot to learn) but implementing mods and asking questions on the support forums has helped me a lot.

When someone asks me for a feature on my forum, instead of shrugging and not knowing what to do I go and look for a mod, nine times out of ten I find something. Plus it's helped me understand CSS, templating and table creation. Of course, not everyone wants to do that but I've found knowing a little about how the forum works means I can help people (and myself) when things go wrong..

:)
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Time for my 2 cents. ^_^

People MOD phpBB because they can. Hear me out. phpBB follows a very popular coding standard. The code is clean, understandable by even the most novice of PHP programmers, and is very easily to learn PHP that way. phpBB is also very easy to make it do what you want it to do. It can be a CMS, it can be a bulletin board, it can be a news system, it can be story maker (ie, someone starts off a story, someone comes back and adds more, etc. Some reason that is very popular ... :P), and on and on and on. Content is also seperated from logic, which makes things 100x easier to modify and change.

Wert

Post by Wert »

I'd take you a bit more seriously if you obviously weren't just posting ads for phpbbhacks. Not one, but two links to it in one post. bleh.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

evolinc

Post by evolinc »

EliteLamer wrote:I have been doing further research on Forum culture on the internet. It appears that phpBB is lacking features, that other forum systems have as standard, example: IPB.

Yes, when phpBB started. The features phpBB provided were the "industry standard" for free forum systems. Though now that time has moved on, phpBB is lacking "new" "industry standard features".

What webmasters are doing to make phpBB industry standard? They need to visit sites such as http://www.phpbbhacks.com" target="_blank and heavily modify the phpBB code, "just to meet industry standard".

phpBB team of experts, need to analize the key and most popular downloads of sites such as http://www.phpbbhacks.com" target="_blank and make them standard features.

Yes we do use phpBB and yes we do want to continue using phpBB and no we don't want to change forum system. "But" when one has to spend more time modifying phpBB to make it alike to more up to date forum systems like IPB, we start to wonder what direction phpBB team of experts are taking the future of phpBB.

i like phpbbs simplicity , i dont want a bunch of junk i dont use cluttering up my webspace. even though i have my own sever and space is not a problem its still annoying.

i choose phpbb and if i need to add something i can. phpbb seems infinitly more flexible than most anything else

Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

evolinc wrote:i like phpbbs simplicity , i dont want a bunch of junk i dont use cluttering up my webspace. even though i have my own sever and space is not a problem its still annoying.

i choose phpbb and if i need to add something i can. phpbb seems infinitly more flexible than most anything else
Give that man a cookie. :mrgreen: