phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other BB.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Techie-Micheal

Re: phpBB team of experts, why ppl mod phpBB more than other

Post by Techie-Micheal »

The "problem" is (there really isn't a problem) that the devs don't include MODs in phpBB. If they see a popular MOD, they rewrite it, from scratch. For example, the attachment MOD. The author of that MOD, Acyd Burn, is also a dev. The attachment MOD was written from scratch. Another thing is warnings. That was doable via the yellow card MOD. But the devs wrote the one 2.2 will have from scratch. And so on.
Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Whoa there will be warnings!? Thats so cool! :D:D

Haven't noticed it on my test board, but I guess it hasnt been implented yet.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I figure by warnings Techie meant reporting posts.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I figure by warnings Techie meant reporting posts.
Not just reporting posts though. When it is finished (providing the devs don't decide to change the feature), moderators can also give users warnings, and after a set number of warnings, they are banned.
cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

In the context of Modding and incorporating "features" (reprogramming) of some useful MODs to include in 2.2, warnings will be very good and provide an opportunity to explain and "maybe" give a second or third chance, yellow flags, autobanning (3-strikes or more and out, etc.). . .

** seems professional and a reasonable thing to do (if needed and set by policy) **
0racle

Post by 0racle »

phpBB is like Firefox: small, lightweight, flexible and fast.

The others are like IE: bloated, coming with unneeded features and full of security holes :mrgreen:

(whoa: have to work on the auto-insert bbcode there, guys! ;))

Anyway: I think it's best if it starts small. That way, people can install extra stuff if they need to (and Ezymod will help with this more and more as time goes on), and there's nothing stopping you from going crazy with the modifications if you want :)
hi
DoD

Post by DoD »

Why do they devs say no to some feature requests? Because they mean it.

If it has no chance, they will squish it there and then. Not doing so may also invoke "false hope" and maybe some users would turn this back on phpBB and start moaning.

Every action the phpBB group is perfectly professional.
Alagba

Post by Alagba »

I really don't understand all these moanings over feature X or Y. iIf the devs say 'no' for one reson or the other, then that's it.

If feature X is critical to your project, write it yourself, buy it or forget about it instead of moaning.

Open Source is about freedom - freedom to say 'yes' and freedom to say 'no'.
Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

0racle wrote:phpBB is like Firefox: small, lightweight, flexible and fast.

The others are like IE: bloated, coming with unneeded features and full of security holes :mrgreen:

(whoa: have to work on the auto-insert bbcode there, guys! ;))

Anyway: I think it's best if it starts small. That way, people can install extra stuff if they need to (and Ezymod will help with this more and more as time goes on), and there's nothing stopping you from going crazy with the modifications if you want :)
Mozilla is bloated, but not full of security holes.
avissoft

Post by avissoft »

Maybe you all are right but lets get one thing straight that phpbb is lacking! Why a simple mod file attachment is not added to phpbb earlier ?

Also there are several simple features missing foreg:

You can't upload avatars from browser - this feature is standard and i think 9 out of 10 boards have installed the mod.

You can't have custom bb codes - Could have been a simple feature but i think phpbb dev. team decided something else..but oh well we'll see how well 2.2 preforms...

is 2.2 ready to kick vb 3 ? or still we'll have to wait?

Thanks!
Can you dig it sucka ?