When can I start, and how far is M3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
cybertinus

When can I start, and how far is M3?

Post by cybertinus »

Hello everybody,

I have 2 questions:
1. I have a BIG project planned, and the base of that project is phpBB 2.2. It is a very big MOD I must build. My question is, when do you recommend me to start? I'm not asking for a date (because I got very angry mods then, and I don't want that), but I'm asking for a fase, can I start in beta, RC or when it is stable? I'm gonna change the database structure (multible new tables and a few tables edited) I must develop a complete new control panel, a few new ranks. So it is a very big MOD (and it is a closed source MOD, this MOD is never submitted to the MOD database)

2. On the roadmap there are a few points witch must be done in M3, I'm wondering witch of those point are completed/under contruction/to be developed.

Thnx in advance for your time.

Greetz, Cybertinus

trenzterra

Re: When can I start, and how far is M3?

Post by trenzterra »

My safe bet would be in late RC stages.

I think M3 is completing soon.

cwbullet

Post by cwbullet »

I have noticed it has taken an awefully long time to complete M3 also, but it is better done right the first time.

cybertinus

Post by cybertinus »

That's absolutely true. I rather wait a few months then that we got 15.000 bugfixes in the first few months phpBB 2.2 is released.

Greetz, Cybertinus

DoD

Post by DoD »

No, we'd get exactly the same number of bugs in the final version (phpBB wont release incredibly buggy software)

It would mean a much longer beta test... which will mean the release is pushed back.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

cwbullet wrote:I have noticed it has taken an awefully long time to complete M3 also, but it is better done right the first time.
If they take their time and think this thing through, the end product will be quite robust and not need a long time in beta. I suspect they are learning a lot of techniques to make it secure from all the updates that 2.0x has been going through of late.

cwbullet

Post by cwbullet »

I can not agree more. I am not saying that 2.0x is not good. I am just saying that I am not trying to rush them because I would rather have it done right. At the same time, I was conveying some empathy for both sides.

MrScorp

Post by MrScorp »

Just take your time... couldn't agree more.

cybertinus, you can start your project right now with 2.0.8, you do not have to wait...
It is best to write a program that uses sessions and userdata from phpBB, all other things should be separated from phpBB, or it will give you a headache with constant upgrades of phpBB (every few months :? )...

cybertinus

Post by cybertinus »

I don't think it can be separeded from the rest of phpBB. It is a very big project, and it is very integrated with phpBB. I don't start with 2.0.8, because there is a pretty big change that I have to start all over again when 2.2 comes out. I don't think I can use the upgrade script from 2.0.x to 2.2.0, simply because phpBB is to far adapted with my project.

Greetz, Cybertinus

kuato

Post by kuato »

The completion of 2.1.4 is probably the bare minimum since that's when PM goes in but even that is probably going to be buggy as hell and due to have some changes to the database tables.

As much as I hate to mention IPB in here the 2.0 version of it is out now in early beta. It's offers many of the same powerful features of phpbb 2.2 and then some. It's a different style of coding and a different license(it's not true opensource like phpbb) to work with but essentially you'd have unlimited subforums and other goodies at your disposal for your project.
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2