heh (?)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
psoTFX

Re: heh (?)

Post by psoTFX »

Elf, now please read carefully before hitting quote or reply ;)

Your English is better than my Russian. I congratulate you in your attempts to post here in English. However, it can be extremely extremely difficult to understand what you are saying at times. More often than not what you are saying can to us sound a little offensive. Please, when you post take extra time to check your post. That way you are less likely to write something that will annoy us :)

With respect to page loading time ... phpBB 2.2 renders pages very quickly. How quickly is not simply a function of the board but also the connection. It is totally unfair, as DoD notes, to compare two boards on different servers, with different styles, numbers of users, posts, etc. Indeed it's totally unscientific to do this.

Now, if you think vB3 will suit your needs better please use it. There is no point in us trying to make you use phpBB if it does not do what you want. We have nothing to gain from this at all. It is really quite annoying to see posts of the form "But vB does X so much better!", good for vB. If whatever X is matters to you then vB is the board for you.
Elf

Post by Elf »

I do not argue. I awfully speak in English. If I have offended you, I am sorry. I at all did not want it!

psoTFX. It is possible to find out from you. What size at a database of this forum?

I remind. I very badly speak on English!
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

It's between 0MB and 1GB :) I don't see the point in "how big is the database?" questions. The DB size depends not purely on total users/posts but on the style of posts, the use of additional features, etc. etc. It is not true to say that "X users = Y MB".
kuato

Post by kuato »

Elf,

Here's a quick question. If you tried to access http://www.go-gaia.com" target="_blank yesterday you'd notice it was pretty sluggish. Was it the board's fault, the host, the database or somewhere else between? If you are wondering what http://www.go-gaia.com" target="_blank it's a phpbb 2.0.x based board with 43+ million posts with users online numbering in the many thousands. On a typical day I get very quick responses even at home over my 56k modem. If you had run a benchmark yesterday and blamed the slow response on the board then it would be a poorly run experiement if the source of the problem was really the server.

There are lies, damn lies and then there are benchmarks :) You need unbiased conditions to get to the true source of the bottleneck.
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2
gwkampfengerl

Post by gwkampfengerl »

concerning the go-gaia example. you have to say as well, that the admin of the forum (lanzer) tweaked his 2.0.x quite a bit like he described in some excellent postings in this thread over at the main board

gwgreetings,
kampfengerl
trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

gwkampfengerl wrote:concerning the go-gaia example. you have to say as well, that the admin of the forum (lanzer) tweaked his 2.0.x quite a bit like he described in some excellent postings in this thread over at the main board

gwgreetings,
kampfengerl
I don't believe that vB/ipb or any other forum out there wouldn't need these slight performance mods too if their forums are that size.
kuato

Post by kuato »

trenzterra wrote:
gwkampfengerl wrote:concerning the go-gaia example. you have to say as well, that the admin of the forum (lanzer) tweaked his 2.0.x quite a bit like he described in some excellent postings in this thread over at the main board

gwgreetings,
kampfengerl
I don't believe that vB/ipb or any other forum out there wouldn't need these slight performance mods too if their forums are that size.
Exactly. Just look at some of those threads. Some have more replies than most boards have total posts. I don't know of many boards out there with 43+ million posts so some tweaking is defintely understandable :)
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2