Database conversion 2.0 -> 2.1/2.2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dryw Filtiarn

Database conversion 2.0 -> 2.1/2.2

Post by Dryw Filtiarn »

How would I be able to convert the database from version 2.0 to this new 2.1/2.2 board? I have found a piece of code that would enable me to import the users that have registered on the 2.0 board. But how can I import the forums/topics/posts into the new 2.1/2.2 database structure?

To me it seems as if it isn't just a case of importing but that I have to do some conversions as well.

Maybe there would be a possibility to give me some clues on fields in the tables that are linked so I might be able to build my own conversion script for this?

Roberdin

Re: Database conversion 2.0 -> 2.1/2.2

Post by Roberdin »

A script will be written when 2.2 is actually finished and 2.2's database structure stops changing.
Rob

Dryw Filtiarn

Post by Dryw Filtiarn »

I understand that only then it would be usefull to actually create a script for the conversion, but would there be a way to do it myself somehow? As I would really like to use the 2.1/2.2 version of the board, but I don't want to lose all the posts that are currently on the forum.

geocator

Post by geocator »

You could do it by hand. However remember that 2.1 is nonsuprotable, there will not be an upgrade path from 2.1 to 2.2, 2.1 is still fullof holes, bugs, and uncompleted functions, and most importatntly it is illadvised to use dev software in a live situation.

DoD

Post by DoD »

You should NOT upgrade any board to 2.1. You shout keep all forums as 2.0.7 and only upgrade when 2.2 is in at least beta state. 2.1 is a developmental version, and shouldnt be used on live, public forums, due to numerous security problems which may occur, and that it is unsupported.

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Holy crap... 2.0.7 just came out??? Wow.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

2.1.2 IS UNSTABLE!

Here's a list of things not working:

- Attachments
- Can't delete categories
- those { } thingies in the templates
- Lots of stuff

Hope that will discourage you, if you really want to convert now, you'll find that you have to restart your board when 2.2 finally comes.

kuato

Post by kuato »

Attachments work in my 6+ week old CVS snapshot :)

Which just shows you the real dangers of using a CVS version on a production site and should discourage the orginal author from even attempting to convert your board over. What was working nicely one day can be broken the other. Don't risk it at this point.

And remember the PM system is still not implemented and that's a pretty important feature to be missing on any site. You have to wait for 2.1.4 for that and that will mostly likely be pretty buggy.
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Yeah my CVS is just a few days old. Had a December snapshot too. When you post an attachment there's an error when you view that thread. Not worth the time! I installed 2.1.2 for stable and something went wrong.

SnowManrcd

Post by SnowManrcd »

any word on when this is paned to reach the 2.2 state? few months?