Hidden mod/admin?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
trenzterra

Hidden mod/admin?

Post by trenzterra »

Is there such an option for users? As it might be useful sometimes being a moderator but showing up as a member.

SamG

Re: Hidden mod/admin?

Post by SamG »

I don't think there is an option like that (though I could be wrong), and I'm not seeing the advantage yet - I would think one would want the presence of administrators and moderators to be quite visible if they elect to be visible at all.

So, can you explain?
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

I've seen admins go invisible but I have no idea why. Mostly women seriously.

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Let's say if you have an abuser and you want to handle him silently.

Eg you may want to have a private talk with him without he knowing that you are an admin. Also, no one will then know that you locked a thread etc.

It can be useful in some cases, I don't really know how to explain, but once you've got the 'idea', you should find it useful...

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

I'd imagine you could by putting the user in the Super Moderators group but individually assigning their username the characteristics of a standard user. Should work I think.

Graham

Post by Graham »

On 2.2 the colour shown in the Who's Online and otherwise is not directly related to your status but rather to your group membership. So it is quite possible to give someone Admin powers but still have their default group (and hence colour) be the same as a normal Registered User.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Oh ok, that's a very powerful permissions system then :) Now for M3...