Thoughts on XSL/XSLT

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
pHaT-aNt_

Thoughts on XSL/XSLT

Post by pHaT-aNt_ »

Now, im sure I read somewhere that 2.2 was originally gonna include some XSLT functionality, or at least support it in some way. Was there ever any development on this?

I say thing, because obviously I think this would be a major step forward in the templating of phpBB, I'd like to think you guys agree =)

Also, do you have any ideas why the XSLT functions in PHP still aren't enabled by Default?

PS, im new to using the actual development forums, but I've been using phpBB a while, one of the great openSource projects around, we all thank you for the time and effort =)
psoTFX

Re: Thoughts on XSL/XSLT

Post by psoTFX »

No, 2.2 was never going to utilise XSLT in default form ... yes it, combined with the complete use of XML could be extremely "powerful" but as you note ... in PHP 4 XSLT functions are not typically the norm on hosted services.
pHaT-aNt_

Post by pHaT-aNt_ »

Yeah, thats the problems I've been finding, as there not enabled by default, not many hosts will use them, especially when running the control panels like Plesk, cPanel etc. =/

I guess i misread that somewhere then, nevermind ;) - I guess there is only one more thing to ask, Would you guys be looking to use XSL in future versions if they were enabled by default?
zarathoustra

Post by zarathoustra »

phpbb could output XML for structuring forum's content. it would be good to have an XML standard like a BBML that forums could use instead of XHTML. In a first time, phpbb could use an xsl file to transform it into XHTML either on server side with PHP or client side using the XSL support in browser if it is not enabled on server side (actually i'm not convinced xsl tranforming on server side would be whishable). I guess removing the template code would also lighten phpbb, and speed it up a bit. In a second time, if the language were well designed and accepted by several bulletin boards, it could become a w3c standard and be implemented directly in browsers. I think there would a lot of advantages for everyone in reaching such a state, developers who would manage simpler code, admins who would use a simple and well accepted standard for templates, and users who could use forums through both a an XHTML interface and directly through an application, in the end.
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I agree, as I said in my post, XML + XSLT would yield a powerful system. However till we can be sure of "relatively" standardised support both server side and/or client side it's not something I personally think is quite ready for "primetime". I'd certainly be interested though to see phpBB involved in this in the medium term.