Call me crazy, but here's my portal for phpbb 2.1.2 :)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DoD

Re: Call me crazy, but here's my portal for phpbb 2.1.2 :)

Post by DoD »

You cant really...

I dont think anyone will be using Kuato's portal unless he creates a complete archive of his forum and its database, and uploads that.

lwq

Post by lwq »

ok then but how to download this forum via cvs?
lwq

JoeHK2003

Post by JoeHK2003 »

kuato wrote:It's not ready yet is the short story :)

Don't try running the CVS version since it has no instructions on what changes you need to make to your existing phpbb 2.2 installation.

Basically I'm taking a break and will get back to finishing it in April.
Hello kuato! :) Your portal for 2.2 is great ! :D
I aslo have installed a phpBB2.2 cvs for study.... If you need someone to test your portal, I'll help you and I really love to do so. I think I'll use your portal for the new verison of my forum when it is the time to upgrade to phpBB2.2 :P :mrgreen:
My phpBB2.2 Chinese testing site - http://www.freetalkarea.com/tctest22" target="_blank
There has portal page and Top28 page also

franzemil

Post by franzemil »

Hey!

I hope you haven't stopped working on your portal. It looks really good and I have a perfect place to implement it. Can't wait until you have a version out together with a stable release of phpBB22.

The graphical overview of the article folders is a really good idea. Did you come up with that yourself or havn't I seen enough article modules.

I think I have made a feature request before but here come another one.
I'd like to see the graphics from the articles module in the downloads module as well. That and I would like to see a web-links module. Perhaps with the same graphical folder overview as with articles.

As I said, would like to use your portal in a production environment, more specificaclly in corporate software development. Should it come to that I might try to modify CVSweb to fit into the portal.

Keep up the good work and dismiss any feature requests you don't like.
8)

kuato

Post by kuato »

There's good news and bad news. The good news is that I will have an alpha release ready by monday, just keep in mind this is very rough code and has no admin tool. I actually have one release already but I noticed a few bugs when installing it from scratch so I'm working on a new one. This is why I haven't announced anything yet and setting monday as a target so I can work out the minor installtion bugs.

Now the bad news. I'm moving in two weeks and still haven't started on taxes 8O In other words this month is going to be absolute hell for me. I won't have much of an internet connection for the last two weeks of April so I'll be incommunicado for that time.

So even though the first release will be buggy, incomplete and not admin friendly at least it's something you can play with while I'm busy most of the month :)
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2

kuato

Post by kuato »

franzemil wrote:
The graphical overview of the article folders is a really good idea. Did you come up with that yourself or havn't I seen enough article modules.
The inspiration for that came from sitepoint.com. I liked the way they arranged it so you can click on any category to display the articles underneath it. I don't care for a flat system where you have to click on one category just to see what other subcategories are underneath so I went with the sitepoint way. I will touch that up a bit in the future to display the count of articles/news underneath each category and add a scrollbar in case some site decides to go category crazy :)
I think I have made a feature request before but here come another one.
I'd like to see the graphics from the articles module in the downloads module as well. That and I would like to see a web-links module. Perhaps with the same graphical folder overview as with articles.
Defintely will do those in future releases. I've seen some patterns emerge with news and articles that can be extended to downloads, web-links and many other ideas. I'm going to be breaking up the common code in the news and articles into a base class that can be extended. The base class will have common methods for fetching the category tree, grabbing a post, counting posts under a parent, etc. The extended class will mainly just have to worry about how the data is rendered.
As I said, would like to use your portal in a production environment, more specificaclly in corporate software development. Should it come to that I might try to modify CVSweb to fit into the portal.
Here's hoping you wait till a stable release of phpbbb 2.2 is available before you decide to put this in a production environment :) I've got some issues to work out with mapping template files to modules that need to be addressed in the portal for any production release also. Not to mention I need an admin panel to make your life easier in setting the portal up :)
Paul Schmidt - aka kuato
My home | My portal for phpbb2.2

saltydx

Post by saltydx »

I'm using it at the moment and I really like it. It's nice to do things by hand for a change.

pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Sorry, for the beginner question, but if i have a phpBB 2.0.8 forum at the moment with many registered usesrs and many posts, can i use this (or the coming one from phpBB Team) portal with it?
I know there will be a script, which updates my forum to phpBB 2.2.. It's alright! But i want to know if the registered users, (who are registered in my forum) will be registered in the site (portal), too??

BTW Would be great if there would exists a portal with wich users would be able to upload files.. ;-)

((And does someone know ABOUT when the phpBB portal will come out?))

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

No, a portal for 2.1/2.2 won't work on phpBB 2.0.x

phpBB Portal will come out after phpBB 2.2 does (maybe months behind, maybe the day after, who knows).
A_Jelly_Doughnut

pappfer

Post by pappfer »

But a phpBB 2.0.x could be "converted" to a phpBB 2.2 as i know.. ?!