Reliability of a forum

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Elf

Reliability of a forum

Post by Elf »

I read, that phpBB not a reliable forum much. Easily gives in to attacks. (very much it would be desirable to believe what is it not so! :!: )
How with it in the new version? Whether is given on this basic attention? :idea: :?:

I remind. I very badly speak on English!

chAos

Re: Reliability of a forum

Post by chAos »

Security has been one of the developers top priorities since 2.0. 2.2 expands feature wise and also security wise.

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Nope, phpBB isn't reliable at all. Whenever is exploit is found, they don't patch it up, alert the phpbb.com viewers, and explain what to do. Nope. They're not reliable at all. Any script-kiddie can come around and just bomb your forum and knock it out.

Nope, sorry, you won't find security here. :roll:
(A little un-called for... but seriously. This is almost as bad as: YOU GUYS SUCK!!!)
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

sparkster

Post by sparkster »

VxJasonxV wrote:Nope, phpBB isn't reliable at all. Whenever is exploit is found, they don't patch it up, alert the phpbb.com viewers, and explain what to do. Nope. They're not reliable at all. Any script-kiddie can come around and just bomb your forum and knock it out.

Nope, sorry, you won't find security here. :roll:
(A little un-called for... but seriously. This is almost as bad as: YOU GUYS SUCK!!!)
How is it that bad? They just want to know how secure the new release will be. phpBB does find itself with security issues every now and then that really shouldn't be there but what can you do? It's a great piece of software and vB has security issues as well, they just don't advertise them for the world to see, only license holders.

In answer to the original question, yes. I believe that the new release is taking a fairly hard stance on security and they apparently have a new and improved method of validating user input which should help a lot :)

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

phpBB 2.0 is obviously rock solid. Some vulnerabilities in the origional 2.0.0 release weren't identified by hackers/crackers/casual observers until after the release of 2.0.6 in August.
They just want to know how secure the new release will be.
Not something that is going to be readily known until after the actual release, IMO :)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Indeed, we're not perfect ... we try (as always) to make things as secure as possible. When we're notified of a real, tangible problem we do our best to release an appropriate fix as quickly as possible ... which is more than some forums if user comments are to be believed.

Elf

Post by Elf »

Most important in a forum is protection!!!!!

In a forum the problem with display of Russian symbols is noticed. During development v 2.2 she and was not removed. I understand, what is it only development, but nevertheless...
Attachments
bug.JPG
(129.79 KiB) Downloaded 794 times

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

As noted a couple million times ;) ... that happens because an inappropriate codepage is being used. To help prevent XSS issues all input data is run through specialchars ... hence the unicode NCR's.

Elf

Post by Elf »

I can not understand yet, whether the forum works faster. On It the development is directed?

Excuse that so many questions. Soon I should put a forum. But I choose between phpBB and vBulletin...

Wert

Post by Wert »

Elf wrote: But I choose between phpBB and vBulletin...
Use whatever is best for you. If that happens to be something other then phpBB, so be it....
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.