Portal Status?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
franzemil

Portal Status?

Post by franzemil »

What is the actual status on the phpBB Portal Project?

Apart from the Features list in http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14454 that has been around for quite some time now and the cvs link http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/phpbb/portal/ that emerged only days ago there hasn't been much news about it lately.
Hence, my question is:
Is there any development work being done on the portal at all or has the project come to a standstill and now only exists as a teaser for people to get worked up about?

It seems that to the ordinary user the development teams on phpBB are somewhat overly secretive concerning the development progress. I believe that more frequent newsflashes would work well to reassure the phpBB community and probably take some load off the forum groups in regard to the ever frequent question about releas dates.

I greatly appreciate the efforts being put into the phpBB project and eagely await the release of version 2.2. A little info once in a while wouldn't hurt.

/FranzEmil

cwbullet

Re: Portal Status?

Post by cwbullet »

I would be surpriced if you get any info. All I know is that the portal will be out after the forum and it was to be started about now.

franzemil

Post by franzemil »

Thank you, that was more info than I had been able to get before. Project starting now and release after phpBB 2.2 pins down the timing a lot more than from what I knew before.

/FranzEmil

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Yeah, I expect the portal will use much the same technology as phpBB 2.2 and it will likely be developed with integrating with phpBB forums in mind. Since the template system is receiving quite a big overhaul with caching and the various nifty features in it it would be unrealistic to do a whole lot on the portal until the forum is mostly finished, that is if it uses the template system which I expect it does.
Images in sigs! please.

ICY

Post by ICY »

AFAIK it was due for release at the same time as 2.2 is released

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

That seems unlikely. AFAIK, a portal is a complicated project, perhaps not as complex as this forum, but certainly complicated, particually if the phpBB Group have anything to do with it ;).
Rob

sevengraff

Post by sevengraff »

I didn't think they were even working on it. I think it was posted somewhere that it would be developed after phpBB 2.2 was done, as they are building the portal around it.
Sevengraff

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

We've not really said much about the portal because there hasn't been much to say. It did reach the point where I was going to chuck it out the window given the lack of progress. However some work is now being done for it. I won't make any guarantees as to its eventual availability ... and certainly not it's timing. It's safe to say though that I am looking to make some kind of "index" style front-end for 2.2 available ... should the portal not materialise.

franzemil

Post by franzemil »

psoTFX wrote:We've not really said much about the portal because there hasn't been much to say. It did reach the point where I was going to chuck it out the window given the lack of progress. However some work is now being done for it. I won't make any guarantees as to its eventual availability ... and certainly not it's timing. It's safe to say though that I am looking to make some kind of "index" style front-end for 2.2 available ... should the portal not materialise.
Thank you, this was exactly the information I requested.

Would it be too much to ask for a regular update on the progress in the different projects, more frequent than the Mile Stone anouncements? Say once a fortnight? I know that writing such a newsletter (or what form it would take) is tedious at best but I believe that an update like that would be much appreciated and relieve this forum of much of the useless discussions on release-dates. This would make the forum more useful as a source of information about future features etc.

I am great fan of phpBB and I really appreciate all the work put into it. I look forward to the coming release of phpBB2.2.

As I said, thanks again for the info on the portal development status.

FranzEmil

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Chances of that approximate zero ... ignoring the time factor I don't really see the point. For those that can, hourly snapshots are available which are far superior to any textual update. For those that can't, those that can generally give feedback whenever new features materialise.