Karma Level

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Silent Ninja

Karma Level

Post by Silent Ninja »

How does the Karma work?
I've seen after all signatures a "Rate: Good / Bad" that should be for the Karma... and the Karma is shown down my username... but if voting is that simple, somebody anoying could come and rate me as "bad" without having any excuse... is that posible? and if I'm right... isn't it dangerous?
Because most of users won't se my posts...

If I'm wrong... how does Karma works? and what's that for anyway?
Silent Ninja // http://www.agrisnk.com.ar" target="_blank

haravikk

Re: Karma Level

Post by haravikk »

I'm not sure what the exact formula is but I expect that it takes into account the same person rating all your posts bad by devaluing them and only taking the bad votes into account if several people are voting your posts as 'bad'
Images in sigs! please.

Silent Ninja

Post by Silent Ninja »

Hmm... coming from a user with Karma -1... it's a bad advice... :S
And... how did you got the -1 Karma then?
Have you benn posting some "bad posts"?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Excuse me, unlike mine, Haravikk's posts are always worth reading. The Karma system is under development and as a result it's been working on and off - for all you know his bad rating was the result of a database error.
Rob

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Hmm has karma been reset? Mine seems to be at 0 now
Images in sigs! please.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

I think everyone's has. The dev(s) is/are probably working on it and have had to discard all data.
Rob

Silent Ninja

Post by Silent Ninja »

OK, OK... but... I'm still thinking how will you prevent the "karma flood"? Like... one guy vote 300 times for a bad post and then it get's a Bad Karma?
Is a "Voted for Karma Database" for each user? Or what?

... I still don't get how does it work... :?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

It doesn't prevent Karma Floods. How could it possibly know if someone's posts are bad or if the someone is unpopular? However, you can only vote for each post once. Afterwards it changes your vote instead.

Simply put, the more good votes a user recieves, the higher their karma, and the more bad, the lower. However there are many factors to take into consideration, some which have yet to be worked on.
Rob

BigGator5

Post by BigGator5 »

:? Hmm, I've got a question. Will the Admin be able to turn off the Karma Level?

I used to belong to a forum (UBB) with that same thing and it cause no end of trouble. People would make new user accounts, just to vote down someone. If I'm going to get phpBB 2.2, I need to know if I can trun that off. Thank you.
My phpBB 2.0.4 message board: CG FanFiction Forums

"There are worse things out there than reptiles." -BigGator5 of House Sinister

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Yes it can be turned off completely. You can also control permissions on it as always - per user/group, per forum.

So, for example, only members of a trusted group would be able to rate other people, and only in a certain forum, for example.
Rob