Password forum questions...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Jackal05

Password forum questions...

Post by Jackal05 »

You know how there is a new option in phpBB2.2 that you can make a password protected forum?
Well I was wondering if a user just starts putting in fake passwords trying to see if he/she can get it will it log those attempts to get in anywhere? So maybe the admin can ban them?
"There are two groups of people, the hunters and the hunted."
-Anonymous

[ My Home | http://www.jackaldesigns.com/ ]
[ Current Project | http://www.jackaldesigns.com/Projects/G ... /index.php ]
haravikk

Re: Password forum questions...

Post by haravikk »

What if you want to have a 'guess the password' game? :P

Good question though, the user should lose permission to view the forum, similar with multiple failed log-in attempts banning an IP or such.
Images in sigs! please.
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

You cannot ban any and all IP's in that way, not for any length of time anyway ... for what should be obvious and oft repeated reasons. I am still considering whether to include a failure limit for wrong (user) passwords. My major concern is (and yes obviously it'll be admin defined) what happens when you get Mr. Idiot going through the memberlist maxing out password retry limits for a bunch of users ... I can imagine a lot of very annoyed users contacting admins asking why they have to reactivate their accounts.
TheMole

Post by TheMole »

Or even locking the Admins out!
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke
Jackal05

Post by Jackal05 »

psoTFX wrote:You cannot ban any and all IP's in that way, not for any length of time anyway ... for what should be obvious and oft repeated reasons. I am still considering whether to include a failure limit for wrong (user) passwords. My major concern is (and yes obviously it'll be admin defined) what happens when you get Mr. Idiot going through the memberlist maxing out password retry limits for a bunch of users ... I can imagine a lot of very annoyed users contacting admins asking why they have to reactivate their accounts.
So oing back at the subject about password protected forums currently will it log any failed attempts to get it? yes or no? If no will this ever be a feature?
"There are two groups of people, the hunters and the hunted."
-Anonymous

[ My Home | http://www.jackaldesigns.com/ ]
[ Current Project | http://www.jackaldesigns.com/Projects/G ... /index.php ]
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

No
Probably not but cannot say for sure
CreatixEA

Post by CreatixEA »

What about a revalidation mail ???

Advantage:
- Secured
- Doesn't take time
- Really check if it's a good/wrong user ...
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Haven't I already answered that above ... ?