Problem with .tar file

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
shof515

Problem with .tar file

Post by shof515 »

I am trying to download a CVS screenshot and i got a header problem with Winzip.I also tryed Winace and i got like the same error.I was wondering if anyone can help me with this problem as i want to see what phpBB 2.2 looks like thru the admin panel
Attachments
problem.jpg
problem.jpg (7.24 KiB) Viewed 5121 times
chAos

Re: Problem with .tar file

Post by chAos »

Remove the last .tar extension on the end of the file name. (so it's only .tar.gz) Sometimes browsers miss-interperate it and save the file as .tar.gz.tar
shof515

Post by shof515 »

ahh..i see what the problem was.My broswer was saving it as a .tar.tar
RyanThaDude29

Post by RyanThaDude29 »

right-click and choose "save link to disk". I had a similar problem on Firebird 0.7, and Winzip wouldn't load it. WinRAR would, however.
Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

In my experience, Winzip's troubles come about if you do "View link from location" in IE, and the equivalent in Mozilla, which I can't remember at the moment. I rarely, if ever, have problems reading .tar.gz with Winzip if I save the file first.

Then again, WinRAR never has trouble.. ;)
Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

The latest WinZip beta solves this problem for me.
Veratien

Post by Veratien »

RyanThaDude29 wrote:right-click and choose "save link to disk". I had a similar problem on Firebird 0.7, and Winzip wouldn't load it. WinRAR would, however.
That's because WinZip goes by file extentions, whereas WinRar goes by file headers.

WinRar is the better of the two programs...
Vinari - My website | Dormarth Ltd - Web hosting and development services
RyanThaDude29

Post by RyanThaDude29 »

You're absolutely right. Plus, I've found that WinZip seems to change the encoding of a file, too. Say you save a text file using a standard *NIX encoding, zip it, then extract it using WinZip, it comes out with standard PC encoding. WinRAR doesn't do this.

But I've been getting in the habit to untar them using my Linux machine via command line. That way I know they're right. :)