photo album

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
warmweer

Re: photo album

Post by warmweer »

hmm :roll: [/me scratches head]
and I who thought phpBB was a lifestyle 8)
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.
franzemil

Post by franzemil »

Draegonis wrote:
franzemil wrote:I have to disagree. phpBB is much more than a forum and that is what makes it so popular.
Let me get this straight. You're disagreeing with the lead developer of phpBB, as to what phpBB actually is?
Man, pull the other one.
Now, you let me get this straight. I don't care if I you are lead developer of phpBB or God Almighty himself. I disagree with anyone at my leisure. I'm saying that you make an excellent piece of software and, although I have a different opinion to your on what makes it great, I intend that as a compliment.
Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

franzemil wrote:Now, you let me get this straight. I don't care if I you are lead developer of phpBB or God Almighty himself. I disagree with anyone at my leisure. I'm saying that you make an excellent piece of software and, although I have a different opinion to your on what makes it great, I intend that as a compliment.
You can think it's excellent if you like, but uhm, I don't think you're going to sucesfully create a different definition as to what phpBB, compared to what the lead developer has in mind.
It's really just logic.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

someone wrote:Because phpBB is open source, you can mod it
You can mod vB or UBB or IPB...and none of them are open source. However, you could not make a fork of any of those, because they aren't open source. This is why phpBBFM/phpBB+/Extreme phpBB can exist. Alas, if you so desired, you could download a CVS snapshot today, and add on all the doohickies you need/want/can think of. Who knows, you might just be more sucessful than phpBB "sans bloat", but I digress.

My point is if you don't like it, change it

[/rant]
A_Jelly_Doughnut
sparker

Post by sparker »

Draegonis wrote:
franzemil wrote:Now, you let me get this straight. I don't care if I you are lead developer of phpBB or God Almighty himself. I disagree with anyone at my leisure. I'm saying that you make an excellent piece of software and, although I have a different opinion to your on what makes it great, I intend that as a compliment.
You can think it's excellent if you like, but uhm, I don't think you're going to sucesfully create a different definition as to what phpBB, compared to what the lead developer has in mind.
It's really just logic.
Sorry, I just had to put my $0.02 (and that's adjusted for inflation) into this conversation. I truly appreciate that the BASE software exists and that it is so stable, secure, and consistent. If I want MODs, I'll add them.

Two words have come through on this thread and I think they're both definitions of the other: Windows and Bloatware. There's so much garbage in windows nowdays that is getting unuseable except on 3Ghz servers with huge drives. Whatever happened to using something for what it was designed to do. You don't need a top of the line luxury car with a ABS, Posi-track, GPS, night-vision, rear motion sensors, 10 cylinder, heated seats, dual-zone climate control to go to the store for groceries, do you?!?!?

And, to the Design/Development team. Keep up the GREAT work!
--
Steve
Steve P
h0tk4rl

Post by h0tk4rl »

Been using phpbb for a year and a half now and the most requested feature to date has been a photo album. Whereas I would love to see an integrated album, I'm totally satisfied with the current product "as designed!" I'm sure smartor will have an Album available so I'm not sure what the problem is. Calendar on the other hand, I installed and I'm lucky if 2 members use it a month. Modding it was a waste of my time. Now 2.2 is all greek to me and I'm still trying to see what's what but multiple ranks (theme specific images) would be tasty.

BTW, first post on 2.2... post icon, font color... very nice
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

sparker wrote:You don't need a top of the line luxury car with a ABS, Posi-track, GPS, night-vision, rear motion sensors, 10 cylinder, heated seats, dual-zone climate control to go to the store for groceries, do you?!?!
Depends where your grocery store is located...
Rob
sparker

Post by sparker »

Roberdin wrote:
sparker wrote:You don't need a top of the line luxury car with a ABS, Posi-track, GPS, night-vision, rear motion sensors, 10 cylinder, heated seats, dual-zone climate control to go to the store for groceries, do you?!?!
Depends where your grocery store is located...
Touché Roberdin.....

BTW: I love the CVS sig. Had me laughing out loud (my co-workers already think I'm a nut-case.... This is just one more nail in the coffin!)

Steve
Steve P
fishfreek

Post by fishfreek »

I want to comment on the whole gallery thing.

I dont want phpbb to include a gallery. phpBB = php Buliten Board. Not php discussion forum and many other things that people thought would be cool.

You want a gallery that works with phpbb's permissions system. Then look at http://www.photopost.com" target="_blank i have it intergrated and working flawlessly on 2.0.7

If you dont want to spend the money for what I feel is the best darn gallery script out there then you can look at its free clone, or might as well be clone.

http://coppermine.sf.net/" target="_blank

If you dont like either one of those then write your own mod and intergrate it into phpbb. If you dont have the know how to do this then find someone that will. But dotn delay the release of phpbb 2.2 just for some addon function that the majority of forum owners would not even use.
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

More important is a well designed, well documented "base"
then many functions...than you can add new ones any time
phpbb was always from a softwareeng. pov. well written,
and the documentation was...perhaps not perfect...but ok.
And based on that you can do a lot more with it then with
most other boards...