photo album

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Roel

Re: photo album

Post by Roel »

I am wondering why you devs even have the possibility to make suggestions. This photoalbum isnt a bad idea; Like a chat isnt. Why cant you react seriously?
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

huh? Did you actually read anything that has been said? I guess not. phpBB is a forum, it's not a calendar, it's not a gallery, it's not a personal organiser, it's not a fully fitted kitchen. If you want a gallery use a gallery, the functionality you'll receive will be superior to anything we may cobble together. If you want a calendar, install an appropriate Mod. We are not out to produce bloatware, we're trying to produce something the vast majority of users will be happy with.
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

psoTFX wrote:it's not a fully fitted kitchen
What!? Why wasn't I told about this development!? :evil:

;)
Rob
chAos

Post by chAos »

psoTFX wrote:... it's not a fully fitted kitchen.
Thats the funniest thing i've heard all week. :D
Trek

Post by Trek »

Yes, I had a good laugh while reading that.

lol @ Rob
Miguel
http://community.34sp.com" target="_blank
http://www.miguel.me.uk" target="_blank | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk" target="_blank | http://www.ssdg.org.uk" target="_blank
Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
franzemil

Post by franzemil »

psoTFX wrote:huh? Did you actually read anything that has been said? I guess not. phpBB is a forum, it's not a calendar, it's not a gallery, it's not a personal organiser, it's not a fully fitted kitchen. If you want a gallery use a gallery, the functionality you'll receive will be superior to anything we may cobble together. If you want a calendar, install an appropriate Mod. We are not out to produce bloatware, we're trying to produce something the vast majority of users will be happy with.
I have to disagree. phpBB is much more than a forum and that is what makes it so popular. As I see it the forum is only one of three integrated features where the first and formost is the forum then there is the customisable styling system and more importantly the user handling system. The two latter are, I believe, the reason why so many like/want to transform phpBB into a portal and request all sorts of plug-ins and mods.

phpBB might not be a fully fitted kitchen but it sure is much more than just a forum application.
VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

franzemil wrote:
psoTFX wrote:huh? Did you actually read anything that has been said? I guess not. phpBB is a forum, it's not a calendar, it's not a gallery, it's not a personal organiser, it's not a fully fitted kitchen. If you want a gallery use a gallery, the functionality you'll receive will be superior to anything we may cobble together. If you want a calendar, install an appropriate Mod. We are not out to produce bloatware, we're trying to produce something the vast majority of users will be happy with.
I have to disagree. phpBB is much more than a forum and that is what makes it so popular. As I see it the forum is only one of three integrated features where the first and formost is the forum then there is the customisable styling system and more importantly the user handling system. The two latter are, I believe, the reason why so many like/want to transform phpBB into a portal and request all sorts of plug-ins and mods.

phpBB might not be a fully fitted kitchen but it sure is much more than just a forum application.
What? That's the point. phpBB is a forum. Just a forum. When you download it from phpBB.com, it's JUST a forum. No more, no less. Yes, it's modable, only because it's open source, and you have open access to everything about it.
Sure you can mod it, but you don't have too.
MODs will exist because people want to add functionality. But phpBB will not be distributed with tons of mods. Period.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"
Graham

Post by Graham »

franzemil wrote:

And hence why there is the possibility of a portal system being based off phpBB once the development gets a bit further along. A lot of these requests would be ideal modules to plug into a portal system but are not really core forum features.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

franzemil wrote:I have to disagree. phpBB is much more than a forum and that is what makes it so popular.
Let me get this straight. You're disagreeing with the lead developer of phpBB, as to what phpBB actually is?
Man, pull the other one.
cybertinus

Post by cybertinus »

LOL :mrgreen: @ Draegonis.

I'm glad phpBB is just a forum. I'm a member of severall webdesign forums and they all use phpBB. I'm glad they don't have a photoalbum, or an calandar or something. If you have a website for your friends, then is a photoalbum a perfect thing, but the forums I meantiont above just don't need them.

And about that phpBB-should-get-a-forum-you-must-pay-for-plan:
Bye bye open-source, bye bye great production method, bye bye free software, bye bye great software, bye bye Linux, bye bye everything that can stand agains M$.
So I'm very glad phpBB is open source.

Greetz, Cybertinus