photo album

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
postposthaste

photo album

Post by postposthaste »

Sorry, I'm pretty new here, so I donno if this has been discussed elsewhere.

From my reading, it doens't look like 2.2 has a built-in photo album, except the ability to make attachments.

I'm not suggesting a feature request... just would like to know the to-be modders out there, how should a photo album behave in an integrated fashion with 2.2?

Personally, I was thinking if I'm modding, coz I saw the "Redirection Forum" thing, I might want to create a special forum type of a photo album, in which subfolders can be created by users to post their albums (e.g. uploading a zip file or post them 1 by 1), and each photo behaves like the first message of a topic thread as in normal posting. But when viewing the forum, the thumbnails are displayed instead of the normal list of topics. You know, like many photo albums out there...

So what are other people's ideas?
dhn

Re: photo album

Post by dhn »

Here (snailsource.com) you'll find a Gallery (sf.net) integration MOD for 2.0.x which may be converted to 2.2 (or continued with the release of Gallery 2).
Deriel

Post by Deriel »

I think that Smartor will upgrade his photo album (maybe the best album out there) to phpBB 2.2

I sincerely prefer a less bloat base-code easy (read EasyMOD :D ) to MOD
postposthaste

Post by postposthaste »

Generally, these mods are too "detached" from the main forum.

Personally, I don't like Gallery, because it wasn't designed with phpBB in mind. I actually haven't tried it, but the first impression is mediocre.

I have Photo Gallery mod installed with my phpbb 2.0.5 at the moment. It is a very good mod, I must say, but I don't like it. The reason being that it is detached from the rest of phpbb; its message posting is a separate system; it doesn't allow users to create their own albums; it doesn't support zipped uploads.

EM is a very good idea... if I get around to write a photo gallery that I like, then I'll try to see if it can be done with the EM coding style.
sross

Post by sross »

2.2 really needs a gallery integration, and chat integration if they want to keep up with invisionboard. Almost all forums are the same, people will choose the ones with the best modules to offer (gallery, chat, rich text wysiwyg editors, etc). These days having a good forum isn't enough. If phpbb 2.2 can create a gallery, chat, calendar, wysiwyg editor, no one could compete with it. I have 2.0.6 with a gazillion mods, but I am starting to get sick of modding :?
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

"Keep up with Invisionboard" ... sigh.
sross

Post by sross »

sorry, i didn't mean that as a dig. phpbb is the best software going for forums. I think forum companies don't realise that we don't really need better forums compared to what's already available. what's wrong with 2.0.6 forum, how much stuff does it really need to do? At the current rate improving forums will lead to post pages and admin panels that will span 10 pages. I'd like to see forum companies do something like keep a 2.0.6 backend but make some good, simple plugins for it, then when you've got a good forum like 2.0.6 with 5 good official modules, then start improving on that entire suite. anyhoo...
Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

Nothing's wrong with 2.0.6... We don't need to "keep up with the competition". We are our own product, we server our own market. We're not going to turn phpBB into a load of bloat, simply because IPB is too. ;)
DoD

Post by DoD »

sross wrote:2.2 really needs a gallery integration, and chat integration if they want to keep up with invisionboard. Almost all forums are the same, people will choose the ones with the best modules to offer (gallery, chat, rich text wysiwyg editors, etc). These days having a good forum isn't enough. If phpbb 2.2 can create a gallery, chat, calendar, wysiwyg editor, no one could compete with it. I have 2.0.6 with a gazillion mods, but I am starting to get sick of modding :?
phpBB2.2 will be a forum.

It is possible such features will be avaliable with phpPP - http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14454" target="_blank
Elf

Post by Elf »

In a forum just there is no wysiwyg editor, calendar. And more many functions... It is necessary for you to keep up! Otherwise the forum will not be a success!

I remind. I very badly speak on English!