Invision Boards Features Vs phpBB 2.2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Peter M Dodge

Re: Invision Boards Features Vs phpBB 2.2

Post by Peter M Dodge »

I did a BB system once for a school project. Nothing quite as good as phpBB of course 8)

iPb will go fully paid sooner or later. It is just a matter of time until the corporate disease hits another free BB.

Alas iPb, I knew ye well.

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I guess i should add that, after reading my post, i didn't say how good phpbb is, and that it'll be one of the few good free boards left.

Pokemonboy2003

Post by Pokemonboy2003 »

Yes. Phpbb will always be better then IPB. The only time invision had the advantege was when 2.0.2 and below was there.. it had a MAJOR security flaw, and invision had none. After 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 was realeased, everything was better ^_^.

Go phpbb!!
Former IPB Fanboy. Currently a PHPBB Loonitic!

Converted my IPB board and ready to roll!

http://projectservo.sifen7.com/forums" target="_blank

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The announcements @ invision concerning security flaws would appear to indicate they did and do have problems, just like us, just like Jelsoft, just like everyone ;)

Pokemonboy2003

Post by Pokemonboy2003 »

OH, okay. I havnt used invision for that long... and I've used phpbb for a while now...
Former IPB Fanboy. Currently a PHPBB Loonitic!

Converted my IPB board and ready to roll!

http://projectservo.sifen7.com/forums" target="_blank

XIII

Post by XIII »

I have used/use nearly all of them.
IPB looks and feels like it's made to appeal to people who get their kicks on glossyness. 'Let's make an insanely structured admin panel so it LOOKS like we have lots of options'.
I'm admin on a forum that runs VB2, which is nice and serves it purpose. The admin panel works and makes admin life easy.
I'm admin on another forum which runs VB3 which seems to go the IPB way of glossyness and the forum itself has loads of options I wouldn't even know why I'd want to use them.
And on my own site I run phpBB2, which is perfect for my purposes, lovely and speedy, and easy enough to customize and tweak. Lots of mods available and a great support community.
So I personally can't wait for 2.2, especially after reading the post on phpBB.com about Milestone 2 being passed and the features listed there.
Keep up the great work *thumbs up*

Now if someone can give me a definite, conclusive answer as to whether or not 2.0.6 is 'Google friendly' I can upgrade to that one ;)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Well, heres a non-definite answer to you ( :P ): They're all google friendly, but google leaves a trial of SIDs everywhere and slows thigns down...
Rob

madyz

Post by madyz »

i really like the new phpbb but invboard is better ( at this time .. :? )
it has more feautres and until the final release invboard would be better ..
BUT when this board 2.2 would be finish i beleive that invboard would lose lot of there members ( it would lose me :P lol .. i would convert it to phpbb )

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

madyz wrote:i really like the new phpbb but invboard is better ( at this time .. :? )
it has more feautres and until the final release invboard would be better ..
BUT when this board 2.2 would be finish i beleive that invboard would lose lot of there members ( it would lose me :P lol .. i would convert it to phpbb )
$more_features != GOOD_BOARD

The phpBB Group is not interested in providing every feature available, be it calendar, file manager, chatrooms, quick-reply, etc. They are interested in adding features which they believe are important in a forum, and they do so in a way to ensure stability and speed.

And because of this, it actually allows a board admin to customise, using mods and styles, a unique board, based on the speed and efficency of phpBB.
Rob

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

madyz wrote:it has more feautres and until the final release invboard would be better
As I've said ... how many of those features do you actually use? If you need all those features then fine, no problem, perfectly understandable ... but using a board just because it's got X more features than another (when they are never actually used) seems a little strange to me. Throw in the added bonus of changes in licence and the uncertainty that has been generated and I know which board I'd go with ... even if I wasn't developing it :D