Invision Boards Features Vs phpBB 2.2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
burgerings

Invision Boards Features Vs phpBB 2.2

Post by burgerings »

It seems to me that Invision Board, is really starting to have an EDGE over phpBB. I have just had a look at their new 1.2 and it is simply blowing even phpBB 2.2 outta the water (even b4 it is released), in terms of features and speed...

Having said that, I 100% support phpBB, and will ALWAYS continue to support OPEN SOURCE software...But the competition is really starting to move ahead......

Cheers,
Scott

psoTFX

Re: Invision Boards Features Vs phpBB 2.2

Post by psoTFX »

yawn ... you know what I've had enough of this ... state exactly what features it has you feel are essential to the running of a board. State exactly how you compared us in terms of "speed".

Let me add that I saw very little in the 1.2 list once published @ thebearspot.com that either a) didn't already exist in 2.0.x or b) wasn't already on our internal milestone list. This includes such "unique" features as a warning system and of course the already existing styling system.

EDIT: I should add this is not an invitation to all the invision fan boys to post and spam here ... if they do they'll get to discover our "second rate" banning system.

burgerings

Post by burgerings »

You have a point....I suppose I lost focus of what I really want in a messageboard....Anyways, I'll just stop here, because I don't want to get into a debate, I will always support phpBB. Full Stop.
Also, I see the "our internal milestone list" looks promising....
So keep up the GREAT work all you guys are doing :)
Cheers,
Burgerings

andy204

Post by andy204 »

in my optinion thge work of the phpbb is great. all members are doing well. the features of the phpbb are nice, and enough for most needs. as i can see now the speed of the 2.2 release is much faster than the 2.0.x
a big advantage for phpbb is, that the community is very big, addons are well provided and help can always be found in the forum. that is better than some missing (unuseful?) features.

i do not like the invision board so much, because its a fast made application with many bugs.

and.. the best of all boards is vbulletin. so if you want to compare boards, please use the vbulletin :)

-andy
System Managent @ Univiersity of Applied Sience and Technology
Redhat Certified System Engineer

dhn

Post by dhn »

andy204 wrote:and.. the best of all boards is vbulletin. so if you want to compare boards, please use the vbulletin :)
8O But, but ... it's evil ...

andy204

Post by andy204 »

evil or not, its fast and has many features, for me too many :)
System Managent @ Univiersity of Applied Sience and Technology
Redhat Certified System Engineer

Wert

Post by Wert »

andy204 wrote:evil or not, its fast and has many features, for me too many :)
Jelsoft: the "Bloatware" king of the forums script world.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

primedomain

Post by primedomain »

erm... this should not turn into a "bashing" thread... it will get locked.

Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

One man's bloatware is another's barebones package. In terms of deciding what board to use, comparing feature lists is next to useless. Different people have different requirements and expectations, and I hope to say that'll always be true. That gives me an idea for a "forum selector".. but that would be attempting to objectify a subjective process, and I'd invariably introduce my own bias.

Bottom line: people should use what they like best.

Aelfinn

Post by Aelfinn »

psoTFX wrote:... state exactly what features it has you feel are essential to the running of a board.
Check out this topic at this rightwing kook site. Notice how you can navigate to replies for each post and up and down the thread. Seems the focus on that site is more on what is actually being said--features which help the reader follow along. If phbBB added features like that--includeing what you guys are already doing--then phpBB would be the best BB software on the net.

I know...I know....features which help a person follow along on a topic is only fluff.....give me buddy lists, karma and topic icons. :P