Calendar???

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Virtuality

Re: Calendar???

Post by Virtuality »

Gah, no calender in vanilla phpBB, pleaseeee. They are just bloating things down.
I have developed a crazy phobia for mods lately, after have using the phpBB Fully Modded :? It's.... I mean;
Number of queries executed on the index page on Fully Modded: 113
Here on 2.1: 8

:evil:

Another interesting comparision:
It takes 0.620715 seconds for FM to load index page, but here it only takes 0.024!

Of course, there are quite alot of GREAT MODs out there, and all thanks goes to these great people spending time developing them :D
But that doesn't mean all has to be added to vanilla ;)

"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Virtuality wrote:Gah, no calender in vanilla phpBB, pleaseeee. They are just bloating things down.
I think you'll find that's already been ruled out... You'll be getting phpBB and nothing but phpBB...
Of course, there are quite alot of GREAT MODs out there, and all thanks goes to these great people spending time developing them :D
That's good.. keep the praise coming... ;)
The impossible we handled yesterday, miracles will be ready for collection next week

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

I don't think a calinder has a place in a forum, but as others said there will sure enought be a mod for a calinder shortly after phpBB2.2 release.

I for one don't use it, but it sound interesting. but still i don't think it should be built in.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

Kraydl

Post by Kraydl »

I have separate pbpBB and vBulletin boards.

I do have a use for messaging with event listings, and I use vBulletin for that as it's built in calendar is excellent. Overall, however, phpBB is much easier for the new user to forums to use and navigate, not to mention that it is free.

If phpBB had such a calendar, I'd dump vBulletin completely.

Not sure if a mod would show up for 2.2. I haven't seen a good one show up since "Topic Calendar" for 2.0.6, and while very good, doesn't have re-occurring events as does VB.

But everyone's needs and opinions are different, and that's just my 2 cents.

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

Kraydl wrote:"Topic Calendar" for 2.0.6 (./..) doesn't have re-occurring events as does VB.
It was a will : recurring event has always found a little used on a board (supposed to support discussions :)), and look like rather comfusing for users, but I think a modification to the mod has been published once in this purpose. However, Topic Calendar will have its version for phpBB 2.2 :).

quolo

Post by quolo »

Is the modification to topic calendar the Repeat Topics Mod, or is there something else? I found that to be a bit of a clunky workaround.

Due to the # of requests for recurring topic functionality I saw in the Topic Calendar thread, it seemed to me that there was sufficient demand for it. And as far as being confusing, if Outlook users can master the art of the recurring event, I'm sure phpBB users could manage.

Your mod, of course. Just my 2 cents.

Wert

Post by Wert »

If you want a calendar, then use a mod. You'll find that most forums do not use or need them.

Just because a few people scream and holler for a new feature does not mean that the it's necessary or needed by the majority of folks out there.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I think the topic had changed more to discussion of the existing calendar mod and it's functionality ... than whether a calendar should be "built-in" (which as we all know since I've said it many times, it won't :)).

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

psoTFX wrote:I think the topic had changed more to discussion of the existing calendar mod and it's functionality
That's why I stoped replying on too specific questions regarding a particular mod. The message was : it will exists as a mod for 2.2, more would sound too like an advert, what I don't like :). Having or not a calendar in vanilia has been already discussed and stated in a very interesting topic some monthes ago, with both sides solid arguments and the conclusion :).

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Why cram everything into the forum? Why not just put a calendar on a separate page of the site?
I can't delete my signature.