Calendar???

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ptirhiik_

Re: Calendar???

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

To allow discussion about (or after) a dedicated event. To make it works with the support of announcements and other topics/posts features. To be sure people will not miss it because they don't go to the calendar page of the site (even with a redirection). To allow them to use a standard posting way, and not to learn a brand new one. And many other reasons, including administrative and technical ones :). The point has been made a calendar won't be in vanilia 2.2. It has also been made this will be a function cover by mods (and IMHO one of the first real functionality, with newsfeed one).
quolo

Post by quolo »

What may be cramming to some, might be useful integration to others.

For instance, I have a board that is heavily calendar-reliant and also uses several different groups with different, but similar needs. The calendar mod integration allows me to use the same permission and registration schemes of the phpBB install to determine who can view which calendar events. Ptirhiik's Topic Calendar mod makes this pretty intuitive.
grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Hey, that's great. Mod to your heart's content. IMHO it looks like clutter. But ain't it great that there's a forum where we can all have what we want through the use of mods instead of people having what they don't want?
I can't delete my signature.
quolo

Post by quolo »

I think it's swell. There are downsides, though, as with any choice, as when mods interfere with one another. Why can't mods just get along?
Woodley

Post by Woodley »

Personally, I like the vBulletin Calender System. It is done beautifully. However what I don't like about vBulletin it that it's hard to use, overpriced, and crammed with needless features. Mabye it is true that vBulletin has more features then phpBB, but they cram so many useless things in it it's annoying :roll:
Mr. Anderson, welcome back! We missed you...

Post by Top »

Ptirhiik_ wrote:
Kraydl wrote:"Topic Calendar" for 2.0.6 (./..) doesn't have re-occurring events as does VB.
It was a will : recurring event has always found a little used on a board (supposed to support discussions :)), and look like rather comfusing for users, but I think a modification to the mod has been published once in this purpose. However, Topic Calendar will have its version for phpBB 2.2 :).
Thats really nice to hear. :lol:
Akallen

Post by Akallen »

If not a calender can you make somthing that shows members' birthdays?
BMWGuy

Post by BMWGuy »

It''s just another feature that everyone would like, but no one would really use. :)
Think that the developers have secretly stopped working on PhpBB v2.2? Think again........see the latest progress HERE:
SamG

Post by SamG »

Akallen wrote:If not a calender can you make somthing that shows members' birthdays?
Birthdays are currently shown in the lower part of the index page. Is that what you mean?
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood
olger901

Post by olger901 »

Back when I was using Invisionboard, It has a calendar built in, but it never got used, so I am really glad that phpBB doesn't have a built in calendar and won't get one either :)
-