Calendar???

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
guru

Calendar???

Post by guru »

Will phpBB 2.2 support calendars?
primedomain

Re: Calendar???

Post by primedomain »

AFAIK there will be no built-in calendar (what has a calendar to do with a forum anyway? :wink: ), but there will possibly/probably be a MOD.
guru

Post by guru »

phpBB should have a calendar built in. In the logo it says "creating communties". All communities have some sort of calendar, where people can add events and things. Also, most BBS systems have a calendar feature. If phpBB had a official one built in, it would be perfect! :D
cgranade

Post by cgranade »

primedomain wrote:AFAIK there will be no built-in calendar (what has a calendar to do with a forum anyway? :wink: ), but there will possibly/probably be a MOD.
Er... I agree with guru that a calendar is a part of a forum, as people may want to post messages about specific events in a format such that others can view them on a calendar. For instance, with my group (a political group), it might be very nice if people could register the dates of meetings, rallies, elections and the like. I would think that one could implement a calendar as a forum type, so that each message appears not in order of the posting date, but rather on a grid according to the related date. Anyway, just my opinion. I'm really just bored. I don't actually care that much...
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

phpBB is a forum not a scheduler ... that's always been the situation and will remain the situation, sorry. As primedomain notes I'm sure a calendar mod will appear quickly for 2.2 as it did for 2.0
Kyle Cronin

Post by Kyle Cronin »

I thought I read somewhere that phpBB 2.2 will have an Events system. if so, isn't a calendar a logical addition? :?
benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

The events system has to do with special processing on the server, it has absolutley nothing to do with calendars.

Also I would hazard to guess that 75% of the sites out there do not use calendars. So if it is part of the code you are left with unneeded bloat. Thats the wonderfull thing about phpBB, it is not bloated but additional functionality can be added on an as needed basis.
JAMMAN

Post by JAMMAN »

Just a fact.. I installed the calendar on both my on line boards... it doesn't get used.
WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

psoTFX wrote:phpBB is a forum not a scheduler ... that's always been the situation and will remain the situation, sorry. As primedomain notes I'm sure a calendar mod will appear quickly for 2.2 as it did for 2.0
Yep... as a calendar Mod'r I'd like to avoid being publicly lynched by those users who do find a use for one. 8O

So, I will be updating my various Calendar Mods to work with 2.2...
The impossible we handled yesterday, miracles will be ready for collection next week
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Good to hear :)