I havent seen a thing :)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TC

Re: I havent seen a thing :)

Post by TC »

PhaseDMA wrote:So why is the buggy feature turned on when the old way works better until the bugs are fixed?
um....wha??

ps - complaining about alpha software is not recommended. tends to p!ss off the developer.
2 8 : 0 6 : 4 2 : 1 2
Bertg

Post by Bertg »

TC wrote:complaining about alpha software is not recommended. tends to p!ss off the developer.
I don't think it is posible to realy p!ss of the devoloprs,
they must be kind and gentel at hart, as they make this board yust for us :)

-bert-
Portfolio | Proud to be phpBB user
benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

And who said the feature was buggy, it works just fine. When he switched to server side tracking it reset just like it is supposed to.
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Bertg wrote:I don't think it is posible to realy p!ss of the devoloprs
It's possible, believe me :D
Lugie

Post by Lugie »

benchayeel wrote:And who said the feature was buggy, it works just fine. When he switched to server side tracking it reset just like it is supposed to.
Yeah - what happened was no bug. Our read topics were not kept track of in the database until the feature was turned on. So, when it turned on, it didn't know which topics had already been read. When this feature is on, it no longer reads/stores cookies locally.

The feature is best used when you turn it on/off when you START your forums.
I can't see the meaning of this life I'm leading,
I try forget you as you forgot me...
This time there is nothing left for you to take -
this is goodbye...
TheMole

Post by TheMole »

What kind of overhead will this add to the database?

It will be a kick ass feature on my boards however as I'm always having people complain that topics get missed off when they close their browser etc.
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

TC wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:So why is the buggy feature turned on when the old way works better until the bugs are fixed?
um....wha??

ps - complaining about alpha software is not recommended. tends to p!ss off the developer.
It was not a complaint... Just a question.

To the person that says it works... Um I have every topic that says it's unread that would argue with you...
`~/`~/`~/`~/`~/
Anthony Clauser
PhaseDMA
benchayeel

Post by benchayeel »

PhaseDMA wrote: To the person that says it works... Um I have every topic that says it's unread that would argue with you...
The point is that when it was switched to database tracked everything reset to unread. This is how it is supposed to work. This behavior is not a bug. Remeber before that info was sttored in a cookie on you computer, when switched phpBB had no way to tell what was read or unread so it just marks it unread. Again not a bug but just the way it is supposed to work.
TheMole

Post by TheMole »

I am assuming they are continually changing it as somedays all topics get reported back to not being read :)

You gotta love Alpha software :)
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

benchayeel wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote: To the person that says it works... Um I have every topic that says it's unread that would argue with you...
The point is that when it was switched to database tracked everything reset to unread. This is how it is supposed to work. This behavior is not a bug. Remeber before that info was sttored in a cookie on you computer, when switched phpBB had no way to tell what was read or unread so it just marks it unread. Again not a bug but just the way it is supposed to work.
How many times do I have to say it's NOT working? Do I have to show you a screen shot with the every topic marked as read? Geez..

PS I'm not complaining... I know this is alpha, but I don't like being told something works when it is very odvious to me that it does not.
`~/`~/`~/`~/`~/
Anthony Clauser
PhaseDMA