Hold On

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
konigwolf

Hold On

Post by konigwolf »

Hold On You Guys Get Paid To Do This.[/quote]

Kuma

Re: Hold On

Post by Kuma »

I don't think they get paid to do this. Could be wrong, but this is a free board because they do it out of will. Yet I have no idea if someone pays that will to make tha board.

beats me.

konigwolf

Post by konigwolf »

Some one has to be making a profit.

Kuma

Post by Kuma »

You don't manage the concept that some people may have a hobbie or an interest they are so passionate about they work on it ?

I work with Java Applets, and I don't charge them at all. I learned something a while ago, and I decided to focuss on it for some time, I created many applets and had them on my website, never charged for them. I was just passing out knowledge. It was my interest, and what I was working on.

Not everything is about money, at least not for me. Now I'm focussing on php...learning, and trying to achieve advanced knowledge of the language, specially related to this board, I choose it as my learning source. I've done a pretty good job so far, and like modders don't charge for their changes, I don't think they are making profits out of the board.

Perhaps they do. Who knows. I believe so far on what I've read, that they don't make any money out of it. A developer will sure enlight you on this one.

konigwolf

Post by konigwolf »

I Figure At Least One Person Maybe Not The Developers But Somebody Must Profit From This Atleast To Keep It Going.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

You figure wrongly ... phpBB costs money to maintain ... bandwidth and server space generously provided and managed by Frank (ffeingol), no money is made from it at all at this time. I quickly add that phpBB's future is perfectly safe ... money isn't the be all and end of existence for all boards ;)
Last edited by psoTFX on Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

konigwolf

Post by konigwolf »

But Do You Do This As A Community Service So To Speak.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I do this because I enjoy it, the same applies to all other Group and Team members. For us it's not about how much we can earn from the board itself, or from selling services via it ... it's about making useful software for the masses which they can remodel as they see fit.

And please, stop posting every word in caps ;)

konigwolf

Post by konigwolf »

I understand that i am not judging anyone just trying to figure things out.

Lugie

Post by Lugie »

Yup, I'm sure the phpBB group has spent a lot of money on this already. Good chaps! :)

There is no way for them to make money off of this except by donations... and as far as I know, there isn't even a place to donate to the team.
I can't see the meaning of this life I'm leading,
I try forget you as you forgot me...
This time there is nothing left for you to take -
this is goodbye...