Group Check

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
Adric

Group Check

Post by Adric »

ok, i need something that can check a group membership. Basicaly we will be using our forum for 2 guilds, one Horde and one Alliance (WoW). The alliance side is the main guild, and the Horde side is the secondary guild... however, some people belong to both. I need a way to check for groups. something along the lines of...

(The xx is supposed to be a command that checks to see if it includes)

<!-- IF postrow.GROUPS xx "Alliance" --> {Alliance_Img} <!-- ENDIF -->
<!-- IF postrow.GROUPS xx "Horde" --> {Horde_Img} <!-- ENDIF -->

So if user a belongs to Alliance, it will show the alliance image, but if user b belongs to both alliance and horde, it will show both...
ChrisRLG

Re: Group Check

Post by ChrisRLG »

Simple answer (sorry)

Create a combined group - no permissions - just the rank image - make that thier primary group.

The permissions they will get from the other usergroups.
Adric

Post by Adric »

you have got to be kidding me? there isn't a way to check if they are a member of a group? As advanced as this system is, i am starting to realize, it is hardly advanced enough for my needs... curses!
ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

I am not saying that it cannot be done.

I am saying a simple answer is to add a third usergroup - that requires no code changes.
Adric

Post by Adric »

Ok, i think I have found a way around this in terms of getting the results I want (2 more profile fields) and a refernce check against all wanted groups... However, is there a tag for current posters group name? ive treied just about every variation of {postrow.GROUP} that I could think of...
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Adric wrote: Ok, i think I have found a way around this in terms of getting the results I want (2 more profile fields) and a refernce check against all wanted groups... However, is there a tag for current posters group name? ive treied just about every variation of {postrow.GROUP} that I could think of...

You'll have to look through the postrow variables in viewtopic.php to see what they have available for groups.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

If you are trying to control what the user sees by what group affiliation that user has, -- similar to how the MCP and ACP links work... you are going about it the wrong way.
You’ll want to use a global <!-- IF S_GROUP_NAME eq "bla" -->show this<!-- ELSE -->show that<!-- ENDIF -->
Of course, S_GROUP_NAME is not a variable, so that’s not going to be possible without a MOD.

If you are wanting to display certain things in the user’s post_info, then you’ll use the postrow loop variable.
However, group names are not used in the viewtopic.
But there is a solution.
You can set a group rank for those groups, and everyone that has that group as default, you can use <!-- IF postrow.S_RANK_TITLE eq "bla" -->stuff<!-- ELSE -->different stuff<!-- ENDIF -->
That’s your best option without installing any MODs.