SHS', Why are Style/StyleMODding Discussions not allowed?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
Adric

SHS', Why are Style/StyleMODding Discussions not allowed?

Post by Adric »

Ok, im a bit miffed, and a bit confused...

Many topics people have started, including myself, to show off what they are doing with the styling template have been closed, many saying that Spam is not wanted, or Styles MODding is neither supported nor wanted during the beta phase.

Yet in [Olympus] Discussion, there is a topic, So what kinds of mods have you guys made for Olympus?, that has links to peoples mods for 3.0, and if not a direct link to download, then the site they link to usualy has a link to download them. What is the difference between the two? Why can phpBB Modding be discussed, and shown off, but not phpBB Style Modding?

Regardless of the answer, I hope this restriction is lifted for the release of RC1.

SHS`

Re: SHS', Why are Style/StyleMODding Discussions not allowed?

Post by SHS` »

The reasons for gunning down Styles related topics apparently "more harshly" is two fold, firstly as it has a lower barrier of entry (downloading a style and installing it is a good deal simpler than installing a MOD, and those MODding during the pre-release phase are, broad strokes, more development minded) and that installing a style points more to someone whom is using it live.

We've always said don't do anything (MODs, Styles or Language translations) until RC1, though by all means familiarise yourself with them.

Lastly, to do anything styles related beyond Photoshop mockups will be brilliantly apparent in due time... as I often say: Patient is Virtue. :P
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Adric

Post by Adric »

ok, thanks for the information. I am anxiously awaiting RC1...

oh, btw - DOMO-KUN FTW!
Attachments
domokun[1].jpg
Make Your Own Domo-kun!
(128.36 KiB) Downloaded 1615 times

leewells

Post by leewells »

If I may, I just poped a post of my new style up. Us style artists need to know if there are any bugs in their styles as well, the same as phpBB does with beta =) And we need to do it the same way, let other users try it out and report bugs. I mean if you think about it, if we aren't allowed to let others test our styles out, check them over, then there will be a lot of work on release day =( . That sound anywhere near rational or am I going crazy?
"There are 3 types of people in this world; those whom can count and those whom cannot."
The Divine Reapers | Olympus-Mods & subBlack for Olympus (now DivineBlack)

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

leewells wrote: If I may, I just poped a post of my new style up. Us style artists need to know if there are any bugs in their styles as well, the same as phpBB does with beta =) And we need to do it the same way, let other users try it out and report bugs. I mean if you think about it, if we aren't allowed to let others test our styles out, check them over, then there will be a lot of work on release day =( . That sound anywhere near rational or am I going crazy?

Walk before running, start with your betas once phpBB3 is in RC... not before.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

leewells

Post by leewells »

SHS` wrote:
leewells wrote: If I may, I just poped a post of my new style up. Us style artists need to know if there are any bugs in their styles as well, the same as phpBB does with beta =) And we need to do it the same way, let other users try it out and report bugs. I mean if you think about it, if we aren't allowed to let others test our styles out, check them over, then there will be a lot of work on release day =( . That sound anywhere near rational or am I going crazy?

Hmmm so you are saying our betas are the equivalent to phpBB's RC?

Sorry had to edit:

Let me give ya a quick Open Source GNU/GPL class right quick. You see THAT is what has made phpBB what it is today, the open source GNU/GPL and the community that backs it because of the GNU/GPL.

By releasing software under the GPL then saying "Its wrong to collaborate on making skins and mods, is NOT the spirit of GPL, in fact it sounds like once something hits RC that its going to be proprietary.

The one thing you have NOT yet to answer is giving the "community" one GOOD reason why posting links and screenshots of Skins by persons wanting to share them so people who want to "try them" can download them and use them, is soooooooooo wrong? Mind telling us? Simply saying walk before you run is NOT an answer unless again you guys are planning on closing this code and making it proprietary.
"There are 3 types of people in this world; those whom can count and those whom cannot."
The Divine Reapers | Olympus-Mods & subBlack for Olympus (now DivineBlack)

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

leewells wrote:
SHS` wrote:

Hmmm so you are saying our betas are the equivalent to phpBB's RC?

Sorry had to edit:

Let me give ya a quick Open Source GNU/GPL class right quick. You see THAT is what has made phpBB what it is today, the open source GNU/GPL and the community that backs it because of the GNU/GPL.

By releasing software under the GPL then saying "Its wrong to collaborate on making skins and mods, is NOT the spirit of GPL, in fact it sounds like once something hits RC that its going to be proprietary.

The one thing you have NOT yet to answer is giving the "community" one GOOD reason why posting links and screenshots of Skins by persons wanting to share them so people who want to "try them" can download them and use them, is soooooooooo wrong? Mind telling us? Simply saying walk before you run is NOT an answer unless again you guys are planning on closing this code and making it proprietary.

I believe it has mentioned lots of times. During beta lots of things can change. So its just mopping with the watercrane still open ( in other words a bit ppointless). Sure you can post skins etc but not here. This is as the description of the fora says and i quote
All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release;
advice, feedback here please.

so what part of questions. advice and feedback does showing off belongs to? I believe none. So there for its boount to be locked. Unless you place a question of how can i place this there etc.
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

leewells wrote: Let me give ya a quick Open Source GNU/GPL class right quick. You see THAT is what has made phpBB what it is today, the open source GNU/GPL and the community that backs it because of the GNU/GPL.
[etc.]

Firstly, I honestly don't think you can jump in here and immediatly start teaching the devs how they should do what they've been doing for 5 years.
Secondly, phpBB can be open-source but this does not imply they cannot decide how to lead the development, or what to allow in their board (yes, this is not a public/do-whatever-you-want board); forum rules state pretty clearly what's allowed and what's not.
Thirdly, what about reading the second post of this very topic, or search in the forum? This issue has already been discussed. Basically, correct me if I'm wrong, they don't want third party add-ons to be discussed here because they don't want to encourage or bless the development of software based on another piece of software that is not yet finished, is subject to change, so the add-ons built in this stage may not work in the final product (which may lead external developers to complain with the phpBB team because they wasted lot of time because they hadn't been advised etc.).
So you are absolutely free to create your skins, mods, forks, and to run live with your beta or even CVS daily snapshot board, and to talk about it wherever you want - but not here. They will close these topics because they don't (yet) support these things and don't want them to be discussed in their phpBB (semi-)official forums, because this would lead dumb users to do dumb things (thinking that phpBB encourages this) and then complain here because things got broken.
You can agree or disagree (I personally understand you if you disagree, since after beta5 things should be quite stable, even though I can't blame the devs, considering the average level of users out there), but you have no right to call them wrong.

PS: if I seemed somewhat harsh, thank me that I warned you before Bertie woke up... ;)

[edit]They turned down message review and messages here under are ordered in ascending instead of descending chronological order, hope it's just a test run. :evil: [/edit]
Last edited by Nicholas the Italian on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

I think bertie is now awake and will unleas his furious anger upon us :(
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

leewells wrote: Let me give ya a quick Open Source GNU/GPL class right quick.

Yay, GPL! What does it have to do with this topic? Absolutely nothing. GPL doesn't allow you to spam forum with junk that will only cause problems for other users and will be obsolete within a week after you release it. Don't confuse software license with website.

Lets see what would happen if you would release a style for beta 5 right now:
- it will be completely pointless because there are already way too many changes in cvs.
- noone sane is running beta 5 in live enviroment, so noone really cares about what style is used on their test forum as noone other than owner of that test forum sees it.
- there is a bug in your style. someone uploads that style on his beta 5 forum, sees a bug, posts it on phpbb.com bug tracker and forgets to mention he's using your style (usually because he thinks its a phpbb bug, not your style's bug). devs spend few hours trying to find/fix that bug while they could be fixing real bugs.

So how much good would a style release do right now?