Why do we use js-hover-effects in User Control Panel Navigat

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
Uchiha Nick

Re: Why do we use js-hover-effects in User Control Panel Navigat

Post by Uchiha Nick »

yeah, I agree with DoubleJ. sad thing is.. even with the arrival of IE7 we will still need to 'hack' for support in IE6.. so in other words; we won't be able to just drop IE6 support anytime soon, because the mainstream still uses IE6 mostly. and this, is sad, but when IE does not work, people tend to say 'the internet does not work'; which makes me cry ;x

then again, a roll-over which doesn't work isn't the end of the world- I sure as hell won't make a JS hack for it, since you see.. if someone uses IE6 and disables JS, what will you do then? nothing! some worst kind scenario eh :P

spose I'll end with this, if you worry about it, just make it so the layout isn't 'broken'. no one will miss the effects as long as they can browse :-) ( I actually got this one of a poll I had some time ago, Functionality > Looks )
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I found it interesting that Microsoft was put under a lot of pressure to fix some known bugs in IE, so they did... they fixed a few of them.
And now, with the release of IE 7, they actually introduced new bugs that IE 6 did not have. :roll:
Someone over there needs to be smacked.
Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Highway of Life wrote: I found it interesting that Microsoft was put under a lot of pressure to fix some known bugs in IE, so they did... they fixed a few of them.
And now, with the release of IE 7, they actually introduced new bugs that IE 6 did not have. :roll:
Someone over there needs to be smacked.

Hmmm maybe all??? not for the bugs alone but for fun also :twisted:
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it
agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

I used to wonder how many man-hours have been wasted by designers having to finagle their websites to display properly in IE over the years.
Klors

Post by Klors »

DoubleJ wrote: if you use display: block; then IE shows the strangest things as I think it does not know what to do

This sounds to me like you might have had a background-color set on the first block entity you mentioned but no background-color on the second block entity you mentioned.

If you set display: block on an anchor but leave (or explicitly set) the background-color: transparent on the same style it'll only process the :hover when you're over the anchor text, whereas if you set the background-color: #fff it will process the :hover when you mouseover any portion of the anchor.
hater

Post by hater »

In my opinion, the tabular layout is 8 years depricated anyhow... Using Java hacks to change background color properties on a table cell is like using leaded gasoline these days... It's old, inefficient, and just bad for the environment. :)

Thankfully, this template is not the one that will be packaged with phpBB3, and if you don't like this or that, you can make your own, which I intend to do. :)

The UCP list of links is just that, it's a list... An unordered list that requires documentation...

So it should semantically be marked up as an unordered list at root, with documented list items as the deepest children. (remember DL's cannot contain block style elements) :)

But, I also imagine this topic has been talked and beaten to death, and is also getting a tad off topic...

The reason WHY Java is used has already been answered... Because IE doesn't support the psuedo class :hover on anything other than <a>nchors, which in my opinion is not necessarily a bad thing...

[off-topic rant]If every element on a page has the ability to trigger a hover event causing graphical output to your users, they may get confused at exactly what action can and should be taken. In my opinion, the only things that should trigger an event are anchors or form inputs, since they bind a website together creating a web of an application. Table cells and rows should not dynamically provide user feedback nor should they invoke an action... Leaving the ability for only clickable items to :hover makes sense from an accessability standpoint, which is why IE has always stayed the course.[/off-topic rant] :)
Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

the bbcode would be usefull as well

and it would be usefull on more things, but that's a discussion itself :) and whether it should be possible or not, is IMO up to W3C
DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

hater wrote: [off-topic rant]If every element on a page has the ability to trigger a hover event causing graphical output to your users, they may get confused at exactly what action can and should be taken. In my opinion, the only things that should trigger an event are anchors or form inputs, since they bind a website together creating a web of an application. Table cells and rows should not dynamically provide user feedback nor should they invoke an action... Leaving the ability for only clickable items to :hover makes sense from an accessability standpoint, which is why IE has always stayed the course.[/off-topic rant] :)

I think that every object on the page should have this ability, and that it should be the end-user/designers choise, wether or not, to make use of this ability.
-> by implementing this wrongly, people will be confused and will simply not visit your site anymore as it gets to complicated for them, so the designer should think about the implementation for this.
And about the last part, there is also the pseudo class :focus, which I think is very handy when filling out forms.
That way you can highlight the element which is edited, making it clear to the end-user which element he is editing and which elements not.
DoubleJ - Blah