Beta style vs Release style?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
Quillz

Re: Beta style vs Release style?

Post by Quillz »

I think the new style will look much more "modern" than subStyle does.
Daworm

Post by Daworm »

Uchiha Nick wrote: most will probably create their own style anyway, to match it to their site

No doubt about it.

But I know a lot of people that still use the standard phpBB 2.0.X theme...
Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

Uchiha Nick wrote: most will probably create their own style anyway, to match it to their site

Well, I think often (not always of course) the styles are "only" a modified standard style because it would take extremly long to write one from the ground on. And of course you don't have to change so much to make a new style that is looking very different from the standard one. :)
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Yes, like the stylesheet and imageset... that's the beauty of designing pages in CSS... you can control the look in the stylesheet... rearrange everything, without ever touching the templates.

That's all fine and good, but the problem is, people release these complete styles with only new images and a new stylesheet... so we have a lot of cookie-cutter type styles out there.
That is what I'm hoping the new style will do... break everyone out of the cookie-cutter style look, and make their forums look unique, not just different color and images, but really unique feel.
ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

what about that nice auto-resize javascript for large images, olimpus makes short urls, why not the same for images that break templates, that would be a good standar for all templates from now on, i guess
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D
igorw

Post by igorw »

ecwpa wrote: what about that nice auto-resize javascript for large images, olimpus makes short urls, why not the same for images that break templates, that would be a good standar for all templates from now on, i guess

The admin can set a maximum image width for posts (and independently also for signatures). :mrgreen: