Styling phpBB Olympus - My Template

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
turblety

Styling phpBB Olympus - My Template

Post by turblety »

A journey creating a style
I made a template for the latest phpBB Olympus just to see how easy/hard it was and here's how it went

Click to enlarge

I have been very curious to see how the styling of phpBB has become in this new version, and I wanted to see how easy or hard it is to style the new phpBB Olympus.

I thought that I might as well give it a go and see if its going to be complicated. :P I know that phpBB Olympus is still being created and things will probably change, but this was really just to show that Olympus can still be themed realy easily.

I must say I found quite a few new things a little unnessisary and complicated, for example the ImageSets and Themes, at first. I would prefer that you just created a style and that was that. But practically if you don't want to use it you don't really have to. I just copied the subSilver template and worked from there changing the CSS and the images and main template files.

The actual editing of the template files is very easy and I must congratulate phpBB for that. I had no trouble, and I could even edit tables and stuff in the likes of FrontPage (as I really hate making tables through pure HTML)

I did come through some problems though. I made the template on my localhost (as you do) and then when tring to install it on my server (newitz.com) it just displayed a blank screen after its installed when you try and view the actual board. I think this is a problem with CHMODing and a certain directory or file needs to be CHMODed to 777 but I couldn't find which one. In the end I just copied all the files from my localhost (btw my localhost doesn't worry about permissions, all folders are automatically 777) onto the server to allow you guys to see it.

As things will probably change I'm not offering a direct download now but if you would like it just request here and I'll post it.

Mark
Last edited by turblety on Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LEW21

Re: Styling phpBB Olympus - My Template

Post by LEW21 »

This link doesn't work...
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support
turblety

Post by turblety »

LEW21 wrote: This link doesn't work...
I have now just added a screenshot for you :)

Mark
LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

Link now works :D

Very good skin. Did you edit any html file or only CSS and images?
turblety

Post by turblety »

Yeah I had to edit images, CSS, and template files. It was some tricky stuff to do, but it was still easy enough thanks tot he phpBB methods.

Mark
Warui

Post by Warui »

nice one, but it seems to me, that you forgot some templatefiles :)
Shan't the impression inside a subforum be the same as in the index? I'm talking merely of the category-header ... with this 3D-Impression and stuff :)

Mata ne
Warui
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Well, here's my Olympus :)

Click to enlarge | visit
turblety

Post by turblety »

Thats really nice spambot. How long did it take you to make it?
Warui wrote: nice one, but it seems to me, that you forgot some templatefiles :)
Shan't the impression inside a subforum be the same as in the index? I'm talking merely of the category-header ... with this 3D-Impression and stuff :)

Mata ne
Warui
Sorry I just named the forum inappropriately. It was just a category with sub categories in it (which do not display under the forum as I personally don't like it that way, although I will change this when I can)

Mark
LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

He thought about this that using catleft.gif and catright.gif on index.php and not using them on viewforum.php and viewtopic.php

EDIT: And I think that you should change silver&blue imageset to orange.
ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

turblety wrote: Thats really nice spambot. How long did it take you to make it?
About two hours, since I kept the images of my 2.0.x board (and copied the header partly from my main website) :P