Minimalistic Bot Style

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
ElbertF

Re: Minimalistic Bot Style

Post by ElbertF » Mon May 22, 2006 6:38 am

You could make a seperate forum only for bots, filled with keywords etc. That would be conciderd cloaking :P

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » Thu May 25, 2006 7:22 pm

DarsVaeda wrote: This is what the devs thought of!
You may also specify a style and language that the bot will view the board using. This may allow you to reduce bandwidth use by setting a simple style for bots.
I just want to use it, but i'm not able to create such a minimalistic style. So i'm asking if it will be included.
From what I know, the new style will be very strict to standards, which means that the html code will be quite clean so you would save bandwidth on that.
What you could do, is simply don't include the style for bots, and you already have a very simplistic style(although cellpics and such don't take to much bandwidth).
DoubleJ - Blah

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:15 am

Its not cloaking at all. Its just varying the style to suit the bots better.
The content is the same.

Best way to do it is allow the admin to set a style per group like how you can currently set the style per forum.
Then you can just give the bot group a simple style.

I hate the way IPB and VB do it. I click on a search result and get hit by a page of crappy looking text.
If it was per user group I would be a guest user and not a bot so I would see a proper version.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN » Tue May 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Based on my experience, search engines will penalise you for having dublicate content, the "lowfi" version you're suggesting is considered as dublicate content and might actually work against you in terms of SEO.

Of course this is just my opinion! ;)
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:45 pm

spambot wrote: You could make a seperate forum only for bots, filled with keywords etc. That would be conciderd cloaking :P
Oh dear god. Forum only for the bot group jam packed with huge keyword lists.

but then wait, google would link to that forum, and it would deny the user access :mrgreen:
Dennis Robinson

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:42 pm

So what, they can navigate from there :)