tableless style

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
katsarts

tableless style

Post by katsarts »

I was thinking of somehting that would neigh impossible make as the main theme of a style.

I was 'thinking' of making a ~Tableless~ style, yah 100% css positioning and so forth. Personally I am working on converting a current website heavy on tables over to css without changing the "look", and so far its working(heh alot of crazy stuff I had to do along the way though), positioning and alignment can be done in css and make it look like a table.

Though for this application tables are the best choice, but I was thinking more of a what-if here because I don't think I have near enough free time currently to debug a tableless style. (eg it has to wait till I get out of school for the summer :P)

Tell me what you would think about a tableless style for Olympus.
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
All of my Base are belong to you.

SHS`

Re: tableless style

Post by SHS` »

katsarts wrote: I was thinking of somehting that would neigh impossible make as the main theme of a style.

I was 'thinking' of making a ~Tableless~ style, yah 100% css positioning and so forth. Personally I am working on converting a current website heavy on tables over to css without changing the "look", and so far its working(heh alot of crazy stuff I had to do along the way though), positioning and alignment can be done in css and make it look like a table.

Though for this application tables are the best choice, but I was thinking more of a what-if here because I don't think I have near enough free time currently to debug a tableless style. (eg it has to wait till I get out of school for the summer :P)

Tell me what you would think about a tableless style for Olympus.
A tableless template is just as bad "tables for layout" template, as it just ends up being a case of "divitis": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divitis" target="_blank

Tables have their rightful place in marking up tabular data, of which there are quite a few examples of such uses within a forum (memberlist for example).

In a word, will we do what you suggest? No.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

{o}

Post by {o} »

SHS` wrote: there are quite a few examples of such uses within a forum (memberlist for example).
But it is not topic body, is it?

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

Rofl @ Divititis. :lol:

Tableless layouts is for the Layout.
phpBB doesnt have much in the way of layout.

Forums as a whole are structured data. Tables were designed for it.

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

{o} wrote: But it is not topic body, is it?
No it isn't... am just making the point of not using tables for the sake of no tables is just every bit as retarded as using tables for layout. ;)
Cheater512 wrote: Rofl @ Divititis. :lol:

Tableless layouts is for the Layout.
phpBB doesnt have much in the way of layout.

Forums as a whole are structured data. Tables were designed for it.
And you don't make any sense. :P Tabular semantics are used for tables... like this one: http://mbcf.dfci.harvard.edu/labs/parde ... tumors.jpg" target="_blank
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

katsarts

Post by katsarts »

So basically your saying that any kind of layout is retarded.

Because if no-tables is reatrded and tables usage is retarded... hem

Also I was not asking if you would do it, I was thinking of it, I was just wondering your ideas on the subject.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

That's not what he said.. Using divs just where tables are prefered is as retarded as using tables where divs are prefered.
  • <table style="width: 100%;"><tr><td>Hello world</td></tr></table>
  • <div>Hello world</div>
..or:
  • <div style="float: left;">Data 1</div><div style="float: center;">Data 2</div><div style="float: right;">Data 3</div>
  • <table style="width: 100%"><tr><td>Data 1</td><td>Data2</td><td>Data3</td></tr></table>
In some cases, tables are just better.

katsarts

Post by katsarts »

I never said I would replace the whole thing with div tags ^_^
(or span tags mind you)

{o}

Post by {o} »

You don't get the idea. It is not about tables versus divs. It is about tag soup versus semantic data. Tables are not "better in some cases". Neither divs. When you choose a tag*, you have to ask yourselves, what the meaning of the element* is.
In other words:

Code: Select all

<q>Hello world!</q>
OR

<p>Hello world!</p>
OR

<samp>Hello world!</samp>
OR

<code>Hello world!</code>
It DEPENDS. Each version has a different meaning.

<div/> tag means "an element without meaning". Divs are used in situations when there is no tag which can express the real meaning of the element (we create classes then) ORthere is really no meaning, in other words - we want to instert this tag ONLY to apply some CSS rules, without making any impact on the samantics.

*To make sure you know the difference between tags and elements. The tag is a programming code, language construction. The element is a part of data which is distinguished by the tag.

katsarts

Post by katsarts »

I know all that, I read the article

I know all about that, but people are trying to imply that I would use just piles of div tags.
Sorry but that is kinda getting annoying, I just perfer things simple, doesn't mean that >I<
am "simple", okay?