Seperate Login Page

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
mastermike707

Seperate Login Page

Post by mastermike707 »

Will phpBB have a seperate "emergency" type login?
The reason I ask this is because that you are hardcoding the admin panel, so should you at least make a seperate login incase a style renders the admin panel or login page inaccessable?

stubbers

Re: Seperate Login Page

Post by stubbers »

That is a good point, and I'm pretty sure no one has asked it. At this stage in the development by looking at the CVS I just realised that they do use the same login.php. Dosen't that remove the point of not allowing style change to be done to the admin page?

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

mastermike707 wrote: Will phpBB have a seperate "emergency" type login?
The reason I ask this is because that you are hardcoding the admin panel, so should you at least make a seperate login incase a style renders the admin panel or login page inaccessable?
Good question, having a seperate stype for the admin login is simple. I'm hope they'll copy the login templete and change the 2 lines need to add it :D

Hardcoding it, I don't see the point. If you modified the login file, function/sessions/auth, having access to the admin section isn't going to help. you still have to modify the files to fix it.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

mastermike707

Post by mastermike707 »

The reason it would be hardcoded would be the same reason that the admin panel would be hardcoded, because it would allow the admin to get into his panel and change the style so that things could be accessed properly. Right?

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

mastermike707 wrote: The reason it would be hardcoded would be the same reason that the admin panel would be hardcoded, because it would allow the admin to get into his panel and change the style so that things could be accessed properly. Right?
opps, forgot my version acts differently. :oops:
Your right it would have to be hardcoded.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

psoTFX recently explained the devs' thinking about this aspect and gave the rationale about the ACP:

viewtopic.php?t=17031&start=5

mastermike707

Post by mastermike707 »

What I said above.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

To be honest I never thought about this while writing the admin authentication code ... however you raise a valid point, so I'll add it to my or someone elses todo list.

mastermike707

Post by mastermike707 »

Thank you. ;)