Start skinning phpbb3?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
BioALIEN

Start skinning phpbb3?

Post by BioALIEN »

I know this is only the developmental board.
I know this is not even beta stage.
I know there is a new style coming out.

But just getting everyone else's opinions (devs, mods, and users) whether I should start skinning based on the CVS copy?

My argument is that its at a functional stage and I highly doubt the final will change much in terms of template structure/names etc. And i have a feeling this current theme will be shipped out with the final release along with the new style by subBlue so its safe to use this as the base for a new template?

Whats your take on the subject?
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

MouseAT

Re: Start skinning phpbb3?

Post by MouseAT »

Personally, I'd work based on the assumption that there will be changes, and therefore avoid writing any markup at this stage (unless you don't mind modifying it later). If you really want to start working on a theme, concentrate on getting the images and colour schemes sorted, and then write the actual markup once the styling system is finalised.

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

The developers have stated themselves that the styling system will remain very flexible until a final release.
Frankly, I hope they remove the imageset system. :mrgreen:

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

I think the template system and the styling system is very good as it is. Imageset on the other hand... hmm maybe a little over the top? It did confuse me at first, even though I read the dev's announcements breaking down phpbb3's functionality. :|

Lets see what happens. Im gonna wait a bit longer before starting new skins and templates.
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The basic system isn't changing ... the way it's defined and accessed may. And as has been said many many times, we don't recommend anyone create styles for CVS.

whatusername

Post by whatusername »

It wouldn't hurt trying.
Uhh... Test?

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

no it wont, but ask yourself this : is it worth it? what if everything changes? goodbye invested time

whatusername

Post by whatusername »

But still, you can try it out :P
Uhh... Test?

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

The basic system isn't changing ... the way it's defined and accessed may. And as has been said many many times, we don't recommend anyone create styles for CVS.
@psoTFX:

What about general template-functions?

I'm working at a phpBB-based Content-Management-System for my online-magazine. Among others I use the template-engine for templates for non-phpBB-sites. Due to the fact that the development of the cms is much work I'll be very thankful if I would know, that I can use the Olympus(cvs)-Template-Engine instead of the phpbb-2.0.x-Code without risking to be forced to recreate half of the code...

thanks a lot
regards, Dave
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Well what I would do is create my image set and make sure that you have the layout you want in your head.
Then use the CVS just to get to know the templating system better(how it works etc.)
And when the Final product is here then you know the basic templating things/you got your image set ready so it should then be fairly easy go and create your template(s).
DoubleJ - Blah