Why are ranks and smilies not part of the style's imageset?

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
OddDuck

Why are ranks and smilies not part of the style's imageset?

Post by OddDuck »

I find it curious that smilies and ranks are not part of the imageset of a style. These are both visual elements, largely dependent on their background.
phpBB phpBB phpBB phpBB

Graham

Re: Why are ranks and smilies not part of the style's images

Post by Graham »

Possibly because you can have any number of them - rather than only one as with the rest of the imageset elements?
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

Different people like different ranks. There are default emoticons and it's up to the user to add new ones. This adds flexibility in my opinion.

APTX

Post by APTX »

You could put 2 and 2 together gaining flexability and the second thingy(since you can add any number of ranks/smilies to any style(s)).
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

i believe that Rank Images should be style dependant.. bcoz sum rank images suit certain background colorus... on my board i have scrolling red ones and on the black BG it looks great.. but on the alternative white boardstyle it looks rubbish... As for the emotions.. Boardwide is suitable.. as it would increase 10fold the amount of smilies u would need... and then it would put pressure on the style builders to produce smilies as well as the board style..

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj »

Yawnster wrote: i believe that Rank Images should be style dependant.. bcoz sum rank images suit certain background colorus... on my board i have scrolling red ones and on the black BG it looks great.. but on the alternative white boardstyle it looks rubbish... As for the emotions.. Boardwide is suitable.. as it would increase 10fold the amount of smilies u would need... and then it would put pressure on the style builders to produce smilies as well as the board style..
but rank images wouldn't put pressure on the style writers? i would think it would put more pressure on them than smilies would, as there are an infinite number of ranks a board may have, whereas when it comes to smilies, there's a clearly defined number already.
NO PM or IM support offered!!
thank you!

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

but u can add a load more.. as for Ranks.. u cant really have unlimited ones.. i have one every 100 posts and it works fine.. however it depends on the board..

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

IMO, I think it would be good to separate smilies off per-style, and maybe ranks too... BUT in both cases, there should be an option to fall back to "global" ranks and smilies, in case the style doesn't have any specified. ;)